Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idle learn procedure.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Had the battery out of my VX SS several times for long periods during the 16 years I have had it and never had any problems just reconnecting the battery and driving off. Mine idles very smooth. I guess if you have a problem and it works it is handy to know about.

D

devilly

I too was skeptical but it seems to have worked, not a single shudder when stopping.
I suppose Holden know what needs to be done but they could have made it a little easier, maybe 5 minutes between each step instead of 10.

As a side note " THIS PROCEDURE IS FOR THE 5.7 LITRE V8".

That's awesome news and it cost you too much either.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Had the battery out of my VX SS several times for long periods during the 16 years I have had it and never had any problems just reconnecting the battery and driving off. Mine idles very smooth. I guess if you have a problem and it works it is handy to know about.
I've disconnected the battery many times as well and it always idled well with out the learn procedure but that shudder when stopping has plagued me for three years and the procedure definitely fixed it.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
In my experience:
An Idle Relearn is not necessary every time the battery is disconnected. Unless you have a poor idle after reconnecting the battery.
I have personally never done the procedure after the battery has been disconnected, but the Holden manuals says otherwise.....Go figure.
Just like you guys I have also disconnected my battery plenty of times and never have any issue when it is reconnected.
It always idles fine when it's started up after reconnecting the battery.

As I posted above, the only reason why I did the Idle Learn Procedure was because my engine wouldn't return to idle and the revs were hanging at 1000 - 1,100rpm. Both times I've had the high idle issue, it was sorted after doing the Idle Learn Procedure.

D

devilly

I've disconnected the battery many times as well and it always idled well with out the learn procedure but that shudder when stopping has plagued me for three years and the procedure definitely fixed it.
Whoo :) good to hear it solved and such and easy fix too. if it was me I would be printing that out and shoving it the glove box as a reminder to myself for later :)

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
An absolutely stupid question; but this must be done at operating temperature I assume? Seems obvious but does it need to learn how to cold start again too?

Taj Mullins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx v6 sedan auto
hi all, would this idle learn procedure also help the extreme start up idle with new tps and iac sensors? recently replaced the iac and tps on my fathers vt ls1 commodore as their were codes coming up for both those sensors and including knock sensors (knock sensors not the problem here tho) and after replacing them we had started the car to make sure everything was working and we hadn't done something wrong, but as it started it have revved up to 2000rpm, for reference before replacing the stated sensors it would rev to 1100 rpm then drop to about 800-900rpm straight after. we didnt take to much notice we just thought new sensors, new start up. but summed up it got worse making use switch back to the oem sensors which brung the idle start up down to that 1100 to 800-900 rpm. then only recently we thought cos we bought ebay "brand" sensors there was issue, so week ago got GOSS brand sensors (tps and iac) and exact same high revving issue as before with the new goss sensors has occured, again making us this time only re-using the oem tps sensor which stops the high revving on start up.

sorry for the long comment, but feel if i dont give enough info none of yous are gonna know what im on about.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
hi all, would this idle learn procedure also help the extreme start up idle with new tps and iac sensors? recently replaced the iac and tps on my fathers vt ls1 commodore as their were codes coming up for both those sensors and including knock sensors (knock sensors not the problem here tho) and after replacing them we had started the car to make sure everything was working and we hadn't done something wrong, but as it started it have revved up to 2000rpm, for reference before replacing the stated sensors it would rev to 1100 rpm then drop to about 800-900rpm straight after. we didnt take to much notice we just thought new sensors, new start up. but summed up it got worse making use switch back to the oem sensors which brung the idle start up down to that 1100 to 800-900 rpm. then only recently we thought cos we bought ebay "brand" sensors there was issue, so week ago got GOSS brand sensors (tps and iac) and exact same high revving issue as before with the new goss sensors has occured, again making us this time only re-using the oem tps sensor which stops the high revving on start up.

sorry for the long comment, but feel if i dont give enough info none of yous are gonna know what im on about.

Were they OEM, or after market ones ?

I purchased a aftermarket IAC & TPS unit, and the car was all over the place,
I reset the idle with a scanner, and it still idled higher than normal,
What I noticed is that the car was driving by itself at approx. 60 km/h,
Which means it was struggling to slow down when you apply the brakes,
So put the original ones back in and it was sort of ok.

So I went to the wreckers and got a pair (IAC & TPS) off the same car,
Cleaned the IAC unit,
Installed them, and the car runs ok,

I did do the relearn with the scan tool, and its been ok since.

Taj Mullins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx v6 sedan auto
Were they OEM, or after market ones ?

I purchased a aftermarket IAC & TPS unit, and the car was all over the place,
I reset the idle with a scanner, and it still idled higher than normal,
What I noticed is that the car was driving by itself at approx. 60 km/h,
Which means it was struggling to slow down when you apply the brakes,
So put the original ones back in and it was sort of ok.

So I went to the wreckers and got a pair (IAC & TPS) off the same car,
Cleaned the IAC unit,
Installed them, and the car runs ok,

I did do the relearn with the scan tool, and its been ok since.
well initially we just bought ebay ones so the typical $15 per sensor. but as i had said, we recently bought GOSS ones and it still does the revving. but even if "good" branded sensors are still making it rev high what brand would you suggest? cos holden service place that still sells oem parts dont actually have the tps sensors anymore. but thats where im thinking do u think if we put the goss brand sensors in and do the idle learn procedure, would it fix the issue?

also mum had trouble with that same driving itself issue as well, which made us switch to oem, car wouldnt brake like urs

atm we have the goss brand iac sensor in and the oem tps and it doesnt rev high.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The idle learn procure is for the IAC and I'm not sure but I think it only for the LS1.

Reactions: Lex