Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idle problems due to changing the intake pipe

SimbaVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive 87
I replaced the stock intake pipe with 3 inch intercooler pipe and put lil air breathers on the 2 pipes that conected into the intake pipe. After doing all this my car will start but unless im revving it it will just die, What do i do?
can post a pic if it helps

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Put the stock pipe back on?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Where are the breathers connected to?

SimbaVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive 87
This is what it looks like. Iv heard that with older cars such as vl's if the intake isn't completely air tight the car might not even start? might check that

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,209

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
because you have disconnected the crankcase vapour/gas lines, (which are part of the engine emission control system) your tune and idle is all F#*@!d up. because the engine is tuned to allow those gases to pass through the cylinders (and it is a defect).
to fix your problem you will need to reconnect those lines to the intake or retune the engine so it runs without them and it will cost you, by way of less fuel efficency, more pollution and a defect!

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
that breather above the exhaust man (where u have the little filter) is meant to be plumbed into your intake as this is meant to be metered air, this Fat hose runs over the rockercover and into your AAC Valve(Auxiliary Air Control) Which is part of your idle control...

As this pipe is sucking in unmetered air after the AFM it does not know what is going on and not allowing enough fuel to help it idle. So weld on a pipe and connect it up after the AFM...

As for the Rocker breather at the Back this is plumbed in B4 the Throttle body so any blow-by gets spat into your intake and burnt for Emissions Control as Jatsvl has stated above. Non PCV valve controlled.

Much like the front Breather Hose which is controlled by You PCV Valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) at the Intake plenum.

Thats why ur getting sh*t Idle man and a rough tune.

Like this man as long as the AAC valve is "Seeing" metered air.

VlTurboRockerBreathertoOilCatchcan.jpg

Last edited:

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
okay Nath, technically I was pissed.

SimbaVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive 87
Aye thanks alot for the help, guess I lernt the hard way never to listen to the idiots autobahn.