Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idler pulley noise (Ecotec)

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
as wrx said give some Silicone based spray a shot,,. its worked with mine, lasts alot longer than the WD40/Inox stuff that dries out after a day or 2

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
as wrx said give some Silicone based spray a shot,,. its worked with mine, lasts alot longer than the WD40/Inox stuff that dries out after a day or 2

Well I made up a gizmo and injected grease into the pulleys. I think my belt might need replacing as it's making a sound that the nearest description I can come up with would be "pinging" coming from belt/pulley area.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If they are the metal type pulleys,you can buy new bearings for them for around $7 each, and just replace them instead of replacing the whole pulley . I replaced the two idler pulley bearings and the tensioner pulley bearing on my ecotec,all for around $20.The plastic type pulleys are throw away once the bearing is stuffed in them.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
sorry mate if im high jacking your thread but...

Whenever i start my car (VX S) usually for the first time, one of my pulleys squeeks, not constant but i think there is a particular part on one of the belt that when it goes through the pulley it squeeks and then goes away after about 15 minutes, any ideas?

cheers and sorry lol Jonesy

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
You can take the pulley off and then use a precision screwdriver to hook the seal out of the pulley. Push a bit of grease into the bearing and then push the seal back in. The seals just click into place again.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
By all three pulleys, do you mean the tensioner pulley as well? Also with 135,000 k's on the clock, is it a requirement to replace the tensioner pulley when replacing the belt?
EDIT: tensioner pulley arm?

Yep thats correct if u replace 1 pulley u may aswell do all 3 so u dont have 2 do it later on down the track again. 2 pullies r metal and 1 is plastic. ive done over 250,000kms and they only just started making noise so they should last the rest of the life of the car so a small price 2 pay really.

after i did this i found my alt bearing needed replacing as they were gettin a lil noisey aswell so an extra $15 from an auto elec i now have a quiet motor :)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yep thats correct if u replace 1 pulley u may aswell do all 3 so u dont have 2 do it later on down the track again. 2 pullies r metal and 1 is plastic. ive done over 250,000kms and they only just started making noise so they should last the rest of the life of the car so a small price 2 pay really.

after i did this i found my alt bearing needed replacing as they were gettin a lil noisey aswell so an extra $15 from an auto elec i now have a quiet motor :)

Cheers....