Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idler pulley noise (Ecotec)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I know that it's possible to squirt some Inox or similar stuff into the noisy idler pulleys which I have done, however this tends to dry out rather quickly. What are your thoughts on injecting a small amount of high temp grease into these?
I thought this might last a bit longer. Or would it thin down too much with the engine heat and spray grease on the surrounding areas/serpentine belt. Cheers.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Why not just replace the pulley? They're less than $30 each i think from Holden and problem solved. Saves messing around with grease and such.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Why not just replace the pulley? They're less than $30 each i think from Holden and problem solved. Saves messing around with grease and such.

Well I will replace them, but in the meantime, as funds are low I would like to lube them up. It's just that I've only read about using spray lubricant for this and thought grease may be better.
I will replace them when I can because I like to keep everything in tip top condition, as said, it's just for a while until I can replace.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Dont go and be the only ecotec out that that does not have the same rattle as everyone else lol
Any high temp grease should be fine, cant hurt to try is only a bit of grease after all.
Know what you mean with low funds lol, i could buy a few of the bearings from the part but not complete lol

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Well I will replace them, but in the meantime, as funds are low I would like to lube them up. It's just that I've only read about using spray lubricant for this and thought grease may be better.
I will replace them when I can because I like to keep everything in tip top condition, as said, it's just for a while until I can replace.

I used a quarter of a can of silicon spray from Repco

Been over a month now of a nice quiet pully :)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanks for replies, guys. Just got to invent something that will squirt a thin stream of grease into the small space. I thought about using a medicine syringe with a small tube attached to the end, so that it will inject the grease right inside to the area where the bearings are. I'll let yas know how it goes.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
silicon spray will b ur best temp fix as its oil based so shouldnt dry as quick but saying that its only a temp fix till u get ur pullies replaced. i bought a pack of all 3 pullies from ebay 4 $60 and fitted them myself easy as.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
By all three pulleys, do you mean the tensioner pulley as well? Also with 135,000 k's on the clock, is it a requirement to replace the tensioner pulley when replacing the belt?
EDIT: tensioner pulley arm?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
As far as I know my tensioner has never been replaced 215000k.
I put a new belt on the other day and could hardly get it on the tensioner is sweet.
Cheers Pete.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Just turn up the stereo that seems to work