Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idler pulley removal

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok guys, as some of you know, im playing wiht a new manifold on a vn motor, and have to move some things to different spots, one obstacle is the idler pulley, ive got it in one spot now, but it only allows tiny belt tension, so the belt will have to be damn tight to begin with for it to have much effect.

i was thinking of removing it altogether and using the alternator like a v8 setup to adjust belt tension, does anyone know what a v6 is like with no tensioner?

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
Can you get another Pulley in there somewhere?? Or maybe change the size of the pulley!!! just a thought.

Is that the pic in your sig?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
pretty much, thats how it currently is, but the pulley doesnt really tension enough. bigger pulley wouldnt work, as itd hit the power steering pulley.

and theres not really anywhere else around the motor i can get a pulley setup, as theres not many bolt spots i can use.

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
Just remebered that i've seen something ages ago that might help.... I think it was castlemain rod shop (maybe?) that makes an idler pulley to convert your commo to non power steering. maybe they have something that could be used in stead of having the tensioner pulley there. BUT, i do like your idea of having an alternator that 'slides' across to tension the belt.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
mm, i assume itd just be an adaptor like some of the very early and nz commodores got, when they didnt have power steering, just a bracket to bolt the pulley to id say.