Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idling doesnt feel right

METALLIS

Reaction score
Recently bought an Evoke. When pulling up at traffic lights the car just doesn't feel right when idling. The revs don't go up or down. The feeling is hard to explain. Kind of bumpy, like its struggling for fuel. The problem also comes and goes. At one set of traffic lights its fine, travel 100m to the next and its back. Does it have something to do with the SIDI engine?

Also as a side note does anyone know how to turn the climate control off completely. With it getting colder I have it set on 20, but the air coming out is always warm when its below 20 outside the car. Is setting it to LO the only option to keep the air cool in the middle of winter?

ejwagon

EJwagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF v6 Calais
Not sure about the idling at the lights but I have noted that my 3.6 bumbles and fluffs a bit on fast idle when it is cold then settles down nice and smooth 500rpm when warm. To turn the climate off, press the fan speed control.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
If the car is brand new I would wait until at least 3000 k's for the engine to run in. The idle quality does seem to improve with k's. Also don't baby the engine in the first 3000 k's as you need it to bed in properly. Once the engine is warm, use it.

Wicks45

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf evoke
Recently bought an Evoke. When pulling up at traffic lights the car just doesn't feel right when idling. The revs don't go up or down. The feeling is hard to explain. Kind of bumpy, like its struggling for fuel. The problem also comes and goes. At one set of traffic lights its fine, travel 100m to the next and its back. Does it have something to do with the SIDI engine?

Also as a side note does anyone know how to turn the climate control off completely. With it getting colder I have it set on 20, but the air coming out is always warm when its below 20 outside the car. Is setting it to LO the only option to keep the air cool in the middle of winter?

Hi, first time user,
Maetallis in reply to your query , I bough my Evoke last year, without a doubt the best commodore i have owned, a superb cruising vehicle. I now have 6oook on the clock. the idle at lights has always been bumpy . At the first service at Motorama I asked for the 500 rpm idle to be checked ( my previous VE idled at 750 rpm).They reported the idle was correct and didnt need correction .Since then the idle has not improved with age. Several weeks ago i decided to support the australian ethanol industry and filled up with E85. The immediate response ( after 20klms) was complete elimination of the bumpy idle ,it now purrs beautifully, i am no expert but my guess would be the higher octane may be involved.

This is another story, but the first fill with E85 turned out to have more than 85% alcohol ( a lot more) and this presented with an engine warning light which wouldnt go away except after diluting the ethanol with unleaded fuel. I will post separately with this interesting and still unfolding story.

ian