Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

if i convert my vz alloytec to a 5ltr can i get it engineered to be registered??

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
if he was doing this for bush bashing or skidding no problem but to make it legal to drive on the road this is on the nsw rms read item 5

https://roads-waterways.transport.n...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf
You should have been the first to respond to the op. It might have saved my tired old fart eyes from reading a lot of bitching and technical stuff of which I no longer have the capacity to understand. Not that I ever understood all that stuff before! Can’t blame the op for asking though, as I recall some of the xxxx I used to do at his age. :)

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
You should have been the first to respond to the op. It might have saved my tired old fart eyes from reading a lot of bitching and technical stuff of which I no longer have the capacity to understand. Not that I ever understood all that stuff before! Can’t blame the op for asking though, as I recall some of the xxxx I used to do at his age. :)
i told him what to do in the very first post

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
if i convert my vz alloytec to a 5ltr can i get it engineered and then registered or is it not possible
Probably been covered in the many replies already.... The official ruling for engine swaps is that the engine must meet emissions standards for the model of the car.... I.e. the 5ltr would have to meet the same emission standards as the alloytec. As this can be incredibly complicated, and sometimes super expensive, most people who do engine swaps tend to stay away from putting older engines into newer cars.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I would honestly swap in an LFX and a 6spd manual when your LY7 blows up. You're already making about 190kW (a good 5kW more than a VS Clubby) and the LFX is a pretty noticeable power bump over the LY7 and it has way, way less reliability issues than the LY7.

If you want to use your existing pipework you could also use the LLT found in series 1.5 VEs. It's a way more expensive option as fewer cars were made with that engine, but it'll bolt up to your existing headers as it doesn't have the integrated manifolds like the LFX has.

Both engines should easily pass inspection as they're newer than your LY7 and both make way more power than your existing engine. Oh, and you won't get buttraunched by the cops if you get pulled over too.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
General rule of thumb is you can't put an engine that is older than the car into the car. It has to be current age, or newer because of emission requirements.
Once upon a time it could be done if you went to 100%LPG, but that was a long time ago. Better off calling an engineer that will be certifying your car to ask, or call a blueslip place to ask for an engineer's contact.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
If it was ME... Yes, another old fart telling a new comer...
You "could" go down the ICV route, but that would mean making a VZ comply with 2021 ADR's...
Or, ask around (experienced tuners) what would it take to make a 304 meet VZ level emissions. That way you know, before spending a cent, IF it's even possible.
Then, get an Engineer on board. Discuss your plans with him, partly because you dont have a choice, and by discussing it with the you are getting them interested in your ideas. If you go to an Engineer part way through the build, his attitude may well be "Can't be done. Engine is too old".
Once you have the Engineer on board, your path is clear. If the Engineer says it cant be done, you could try another, but be prepared for another "Cant be done" answer.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Me thinking the op has gone away to sulk....He hasn't been on since Tuesday, which is just after he said were being smart asses because it was suggested he visit an engineer and it is doubtful he'll get it passed....

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Me thinking the op has gone away to sulk....He hasn't been on since Tuesday, which is just after he said were being smart asses because it was suggested he visit an engineer and it is doubtful he'll get it passed....
Probably. I suppose we will never know.
Incidentally, a mate built an ICV based on an L300 van. Cut it into a ute. Installed an LS1 in the rear, driving through a "V" drive (1/2 a 4WD transfer case) driving the rear wheels. And it is (last I knew) street registered in NSW. Mate knew what he was doing. Got an Engineer on board early and the car was very professionally built (by my mate). I dont suppose it could be done today.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
emission laws are getting tougher and forcing manufacturers to phase out and adapt, electric is one example
all he had to do was sell the 5ltre and get a ls v8 plus tranny what ever else he need for the conversion and whack that in when he get his blacks it be a lot cheaper and be legal