Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

if i convert my vz alloytec to a 5ltr can i get it engineered to be registered??

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Almost anything can be done with engineer certification. Emissions aren't really an issue, there are ways to make a 5.0L comply. An example is the VY V6, early series 2 had one cat, enter Euro 3 mid 2002, bang another cat on, bingo, complies.

Convert the 5.0L to direct fire and run an LSx PCM and link it to the BCM.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
You need a subscription to view site content.

The gist is manufacturers of aftermarket parts that effect emissions are being sued, people who installed the parts are being fined and sued, and shops that installed the parts are being fined and closed down

It isn't just the Californian bubble either, companies and people outside Cali are being fined and sued

The old " for motorsport only" disclaimer is no longer a out

Some race series in the US are already requiring emissions compliance

This initially stemmed from complaints about diesels "rolling coal", from there the EPA is laying it down hard on everything from racecars to street cars

It has been around for a while, but it has gained government support and is coming in hard and fast

There is some SEMA group that has taken up the fight, but, really, the modified car and bike world is tiny compared to the power and support the Epa has

I assume it is only time before this takes a tight grip of the testicals of the modified car and bike scene in AU

Especially since the AU government has finally got on board the EV bandwagon

Meh, in saying that AU moves rhat slow it could be 10 to 20 years before it effects us, hopefully anyway

H

harrop.senator

By ADR/VBS/emissions standards almost every mod is non-compliant. For example, legally you're not allowed to run an ECU that can be changed by the user (ignore the fact you can do it with factory ones) unless it's running LPG. Any change to the factory tune basically makes the car non emissions compliant, even with a stock engine. Wheels and tyres, suspension, light globes, blah blah blah... just about anything you care to mention.

Engineering can get around stuff like that, but usually you have it "emissions tuned" to pass and tune it again after it's engineered as the emissions tune doesn't really lend itself to what you've done. The only reason people get away with stuff like this and it's not picked up is because it's not obvious and emissions testing isn't really a thing unless you actually want it done.

Better than the 5L, but still kinda dumb because there is so much of an electronic difference with the SIDI engines. Cut out the middle man and just get the VE/VF instead.

Yeah but it's a ve or vf. I'd rather a vz all day. Custom cars usually aren't easy or make common sense.

If it did I'd have bought s13's rather then fitting ca18s into Datsuns , v8's into Silvia's and rb25's in to r31s.

If he was willing to fab and wire everything up to attempt a 5 litre lfx wouldn't be that different or harder.

You've got lfx and lgx in miatas and kit cars already gaining popularity for conversions in us.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If he was willing to fab and wire everything up to attempt a 5 litre lfx wouldn't be that different or harder.

You've got lfx and lgx in miatas and kit cars already gaining popularity for conversions in us.
Doubt he was, his bro was gonna put it in for him (aka he didn't know) and the engine was "cheap", think he just wanted to be able to tell people "it's a V8" and at the lowest cost possible - don't think he was after the "custom" aspect.

All I mean is that the commitment/effort needed even for that V6 is substantial when you compare it to something that seems similar at face value like an Ecotec into a VN-VR, it's not something that you can kind of just decide to drop in with minimal effort (like what I'm guessing OP was hoping) when your LY7 blows up and there's a cheap LFX on Gumtree and your only desire is getting the car going again with a slightly better engine with largely the same parts and electronics, like OP's only desire was having a V8, nothing to do with any other aspect or the thought that his existing engine was better in every way.

The LFX into MX-5 and RX-8 occupies a different space - pretty much superior to the stock BP and unfortunately unreliable Renesis engines and with more displacement - honestly I'd do one of those myself because I think it's a very underrated engine and is a setup that makes a lot of sense in those cars, particularly with their weight and availability. Low stroke one with an LP1/LP9 crank would be really cool.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know a guy in the Skylines world who insalled a mild camed LS1 in a R33, and had it engineered, and passed the emissions test, IN VICTORIA...... on 98

Albeit 2 years ago

It took "alot" of planning, upgrades and tuning to do it though, I believe it was 1 or 2 years in the planning and build

He employed an engineer even before starting the project and followed the engineers requirements throughout, the engineer inspected the car before, during and after the build

He then drove to the Vicroads testing joint, with some 200 cell cats fitted, and a very conservative tune, and failed the test miserably

In order for the car to "just" pass he needed 2 quality (read:expensive not ebay) euro 4 compliant cats, and lots of tuning based around only passing emissions

But this was fitting a newer engine into a older body, which is legally doable.

E85 can/may help with tuning fom emissions, from my experience it is still tricky

Me, I'm running 400's

Also, pre-cats are now a thing, even for standard cars

Meh, yes, being legal is a compromise, but peace of mind of being legal is priceless

Or street cars aren't race cars, losing a couple of killer wasps ain't a war stopper, and talking about race cars... in other news, people and shops have already been fined and/or closed down https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...usiness/defeat-devices-clean-air-act.amp.html

Adapt and overcome

As I understand it, it's not the body that needs to comply, it is the engine...If you put a later model engine into an earlier model car, the engine must comply with the year of manufacture, as you have written here...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In WA, it's whatever is the later, if the body is later than the engine it has to comply with the year the body was manufactured and same with the engine. Stops people putting late model engines in early bodies and ripping all the emissions compliance gear off.

H

harrop.senator

Doubt he was, his bro was gonna put it in for him (aka he didn't know) and the engine was "cheap", think he just wanted to be able to tell people "it's a V8" and at the lowest cost possible - don't think he was after the "custom" aspect.

All I mean is that the commitment/effort needed even for that V6 is substantial when you compare it to something that seems similar at face value like an Ecotec into a VN-VR, it's not something that you can kind of just decide to drop in with minimal effort (like what I'm guessing OP was hoping) when your LY7 blows up and there's a cheap LFX on Gumtree and your only desire is getting the car going again with a slightly better engine with largely the same parts and electronics, like OP's only desire was having a V8, nothing to do with any other aspect or the thought that his existing engine was better in every way.

The LFX into MX-5 and RX-8 occupies a different space - pretty much superior to the stock BP and Renesis engines and with more displacement - honestly I'd do one of those myself because I think it's a very underrated engine and is a setup that makes a lot of sense in those cars, particularly with their weight and availability. Low stroke one with an LP1/LP9 crank would be really cool.

Totally agree. Id really love a vn with one. Pov pack , no AC 1200 kg car with a vct quad cam pulling 7000 rpm on song around the track sounds dreamy.

I've even been half looking into the it if I ever keep the WL long enough. But honestly looks like a rebuild and cam job if I do will be cheaper.

I've actually grown to really like them after putting 40k on one with mods. Did couple hundred in one new and was ehhh about them. But now I know how toned down they are with torque management and way to tall-ly geared I'm on board.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Just to clarify I was referring to the Eco, even though he has a Alloy. I was referring to the weights of a LS being around the same as Eco nothing more. The 304 is quite a bit heavier than an LS so I would think he will need a heavier rated spring? But I must be wrong. And if you're right there will be plenty of options in springs for the OP. So forget I said anything.
no sweat, just your previous post was confusing,
yep Ls is virtually same as Ecotec and the 304 is about 30kg heavier, so we are both right and probably the alloytec is nearly the same as Eco so you could say that you could run the 304 on the car original springs as nearly 30kg isn;t much heavier if he does the conversion but we all know chances are very slim to none it will be done legally.