Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

If you had the chance.....

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I would say go back to the 80s when I was in my late teens/early 20s
The music was so much better back then
In saying that so many of the bands from the 80s still do the pub circuits now and that is still our normal Saturday nights these days as it was back then

So no need to go back

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I don't believe in looking back but in saying that if I were to then it would be somewhere around my school years just so I could take everything in a lot better but I wouldn't change anything though (except for the time I dreamt up the idea of creating flat pack furniture and selling it in stores around the world)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When I posted this thread, I should have been more specific about its intended aim. It wasn't saying "go back and what would you change?" It was "go back and look at what things were like back then."

I'm nearly 65, so going back to my early years would mean seeing a very different world to what's around today. The streets would be full of FX Holdens - the FJ was still 18 months away. Trams still ran in Sydney. People went out wearing coats, hats and gloves. Picture theatres were popular. Think of no TV, no Macca's, no Pizza Hut. Even Rock and Roll hadn't been created. Traditional Manly ferries still ran to the little village "Seven Miles from Sydney and a Thousand Miles from Care" (I'm a Manly native.)

If you're only in your twenties or thirties, the extent of change since you were young isn't all that great - the time travel wouldn't be as intriguing. But for an old buzzard like me, who was lucky enough to be born only a few years after WW2, the changes have been dramatic. I look at books with photos comparing then and now and wish I could just make that trip. Stuff the forfeited year - it won't be worth a cracker anyway.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A wise man sang ...... “You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well you just might find you get what you need”

I don’t think I would. A number of things in my life were a disappointment, but time showed that if things had worked out the way I wanted them at the time, the end result would have not been to my liking, and I would not have ended up being as comfortable as I am now, physically, financially, and emotionally.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When I posted this thread, I should have been more specific about its intended aim. It wasn't saying "go back and what would you change?" It was "go back and look at what things were like back then." .

OK ..... different tack. I don’t want to be reminded how things were ‘back then’.

Being told that children should be seen and not heard.
Getting up at 5am on a Sunday to go to church in your best clothes.
Long drop dunny 50 metres from the homestead, infested with death-adders.
My horse trying to wipe me off on the nearest tree .... Geez, I hate horses.
The smell of wet sheep .......Geez, I hate sheep too.
Unsealed black-soil roads that were unpassable if a cloud was in the sky.
Being the ‘new kid’ at a number of schools ..... and they talk about bullying now.
Having psycho teachers who liked to cane kids.
Being expected to ‘do well’ at school when I didn’t understand what the subject was about .... ie French.
Being put into a job that I didn’t like, and could see no future in.

Then .... bingo ! Turn 18, leave home for the big world, see comments above.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Not entirely sure if I'd want to go 'back in time' neither.

I first came out to my parents when I was 18, in 2001. Fortunately, they were supportive (eventually...). 30 years previously, I would have either been cut adrift, or sent to an institution. Homosexuality was a crime in NSW until 1984, and even treated as a mental illness by the AMA until then. As late as 2000, gay hate murders were quite common in Sydney. Nowadays, the LGBT community is largely accepted by the wider community, even in country areas. My teens and early adulthood were quite difficult though.

That being said, I am a classic car aficionado with a keen interest in the periods then my vehicles ruled the road.
My current classic is a 1981 Volvo which means for most of the 1980s it was a relatively common sight. As such, from a pop culture perspective I am interested in the 1980s.
For most of this year my Volvo had a replica 1984 rego label on it. I was going to go to the Volvo Nationals about a month ago in Forster, but as the Volvo had some issues at the time I didn't go.

However, had I gone I would have taken the route one would have gone from Orange to Forster in 1984, as much as practical. Due to various deviations and new freeways, the route was/is quite different to what it is now.

I have a fascination with old, deserted automotive infrastructure such as highways, garages, dealerships and servos. I'd love to take the Volvo down the Old Hume Highway some time!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I wouldn't want to go back , I grew up in apartheid era South Africa , if you were white , things were rosy , if you were black or coloured not so much . I like things here and now . But that aside having beach side braii with family followed by beach cricket , or going to watch Western Provence play at Newlands Park with my dad , they were good times .

Last edited:

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
Interesting to see the replies.
As Sheldon Cooper says above - go back & buy land that I thought was expensive for $5,000 a block and now worth $125,000 a block.

But no I wouldn't.
Would be good to go back and not meet my first wife but then that would mean not going out with my mates to get me out of my doldrums and by chance meeting my second wife who I have been with for nearly 30 years and having kids.
Go back and change one thing and the rest of your life would be totaly different- good or bad?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
if it didnt have to be my life time - id rather go back and watch World War 2 from every side.