Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignigtion barrel in a VR

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
I'm going to have a crack at drilling the barrel out on the weekend. I have nothing to loose! If anything else breaks i'll just have to live with it. wish me luck, i'll let you know how it goes...

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
prober way to remove ignition barrel is when the key is in acc and you push the release pin in and it comes out. If it is not in acc the barrel is locked in there so a little D.I.Y skills are nesesary to remove it. Get any old vn-vt key in the barrel and hold down the release pin while bashing the barrel out with a hammer (from the back). Even though you can not turn the key you still must stick any old key into the barrel as it unlocks a second pin from inside the steering colum. I have done it.

Last edited:

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
so then whats the best way to put in a new one?

I blundered through the first bit but cant get the new one in

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
so then whats the best way to put in a new one?

I blundered through the first bit but cant get the new one in

the only way to get a new one in is you turn the key in your new barrrel to the acc position and it simply goes in. If you do not insert and turn the key you wont get it in. Be sure to make sure the steering lock mechanism is working properly by checking the steering wheel stopper comes out when the key in removed and goes back in when it is in acc.:thumbsup:

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Thank you muchly, I'll take a stab at it in the morning

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
I just had a go at getting it out the way you described cruzn, but no good. I just want to make sure that the pin i have to push in is hole about the barrel housing, in the front? I'd like to be able to get it out without drilling if I could:bang: