Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignigtion barrel in a VR

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
Hey all,
I bought my sisters VR from her a little while ago to make a profit, only thing is, the other day someone came around to see it, and for the first time ever (according to my sister) the key wont turn in the ignition. I think the key is pretty worn, but it can still open the doors and the boot. I have read other posts saying that its easy to get the barrel out if you can turn the key, but I cant get it to turn, so i'm wondering if there is any way to get it out, and if i take it to holden, can they give me a new one that will go straight in? Or what is the procedure to getting a new one and a new key that will work with my keyless entry etc? Thanks for any advice.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Hey all,
I bought my sisters VR from her a little while ago to make a profit, only thing is, the other day someone came around to see it, and for the first time ever (according to my sister) the key wont turn in the ignition. I think the key is pretty worn, but it can still open the doors and the boot. I have read other posts saying that its easy to get the barrel out if you can turn the key, but I cant get it to turn, so i'm wondering if there is any way to get it out, and if i take it to holden, can they give me a new one that will go straight in? Or what is the procedure to getting a new one and a new key that will work with my keyless entry etc? Thanks for any advice.

ok, whatever you do, dont force the key to turn you'l only brake the internal pin. You have to pull the bottom cover off below the steering wheel then you will be able to access the barrell, pull the plastic cover off the back end of the barrell and with the key in you should be able to get the car started basic electronics hopefully you can work it out, and get it off to a locksmith, most know of the commodore barrells and can replace them just give them a call before you go.

protossw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 EXECUTIVE
as i know some locksmith do the keys of commodore like one in Broadmeadows shopping centre in Mel.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
if ur barrel is stuffed like mine was easiest fix is to go wreckers get another ignition barrel, then take it to a locksmith with both ur key and the one that came with new barrel and they will redo the new barrel to fit ur key, all up cost me 60buks and i can still use my normal key , not need to carry 2 different keys around.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
hmmmm, another big bugbear of mine I had with my VR acclaim...

Had ignition barrel replaced by Holden, and the complete surround which had "cracked" i couldn't see this though... And $500 later I went to start it and the key caught in the barrel, but only a second... a few days later, same thing... took it back again, got it graphite scrubed and cleaned whevere the fork that means... and still no go...

wasn't too bad for a couple of months, maybe got stuck for a few second maybe once a week... :( booked in for 180,000 service... mentioned the sticky barrel, didn't say annythign about previous work... got a call at lunchtime, oh yeah, the ignition barrel needs replacing and so does the surround, it's pretty damaged... I said, well, that great! Thats a free job for me you see! as you were meant to have replaced that only 2 months ago, thanks I would like to see both the old barrel and surround and the packaging for the new parts when i pick it up this afternoon, and there will be no charge? Sound good to you mate?

lol, after a seconds confusion and mumbling to his boss, was all done... scammy buggers... >:|

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
ok, whatever you do, dont force the key to turn you'l only brake the internal pin. You have to pull the bottom cover off below the steering wheel then you will be able to access the barrell, pull the plastic cover off the back end of the barrell and with the key in you should be able to get the car started basic electronics hopefully you can work it out, and get it off to a locksmith, most know of the commodore barrells and can replace them just give them a call before you go.

Ok, I have done all of this, but while I can get the car's electrics to work, the engine wont turn over. Would this be because the key isnt touching the metallic strip? But even if it starts, the steering wheel is locked, so I cant drive anywhere...
The barrel is in a metal surrounding, so is there any way to get it out of there without the key? Where the keyhole is, there is one flat side that looks like it could be turned and screwed off, I can go home tomorow and take photos to post if anyone could shed some light. Once I get it out, I can go to the locksmith with the old one and go get another one from the wreckers. Thanks for the help so far guys.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I would be really happy if some could tell me how to get it apart too

I have my sister inlaws car and cant turn the key either i have got the plug off the back of the ignition and now what i am lost as to were to go with it from here

I cant see how to get the barrell of the coluom (spelling) do you have to smash it off or is there a pin

Cheers Dave

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
O.k got the car to start but now i cant turn the steering wheel bugger

If anybody has any help i know its late but need to be able to sort it by tomoz morning so i can get the parts i need

harvma20

CarPC[====----] 50% Comp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
just invite over some local drugo''s and they will get it going 4 u man

VROCIOUS

Searching for more HP
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
04 HSV VY update Avalanche
had the problem in mine one of the pins sticks and doesnt return on the key therefore thinking the key is incorrect. cant turn key or do anything. would you beleive i had it happen to both my cars within 3 weeks. new barrel and 300 odd bucks later it's fixed. apparantly very common guy came in and told me when he used to work in qld he did on average 2 a day