Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel and immobiliser

Skiddaphene

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ 1T ute 3.6L 6Speed
Hi there, I have a 94 vr executive and I've been having trouble with my key lately not deactivating my immobiliser first time. After a few try's I get it and cars starts, after looking at my barrel wondering if I could just permanently disable it Id be sweet, pulled the plastic face off the barrel with the clips to identify keys code and finding no little wires to joined I put the cover back on the barrel in the process I somehow ended up jamming the barrel so now the key doesn't even turn at all. What have I done and is it repairable???

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Firstly, see if the metal prongs on the barrel are out far enough, if not, bend them out gently. You can try this by putting the key in and holding it firm into the barrel, turn the key.

I dont know how a plastic fascia can jam a barrel. So i cant help you there.

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS BT1 SS 5ltr original
sounds like the steering wheel has locked the barrel. You need to have the key in the barrel and at the same time turning the key you will need to pull down on the steering wheel for it to unlock.

Skiddaphene

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey yeah the metal clips are held out with tiny bits of cardboard behind them as this has been an issue for a while, as for the barrel being jammed I don't know what I have done there as I don't have a steering lock on my car the pin doesn't click into the steering wheel. I was reading another forum and they suggested tapping the barrel as one of the tumblers might have gotten stuck I am going to try this when I get out of bed this morning and hope that sOlves my problem. I spent hours last night trying to think what have I done to jam the barrel. Thanks guys keep the comments coming as I'm losing hair over my car issue

Skiddaphene

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well tapping the barrel with a hammer did not help at all here my key just won't turn at all easy to put into the barrel and to take out but that's about it, another forum said that it's possible to remove the inner body of the barrel but I can't seem to do that either I put a bit of coathanger wire into the little hole on the side of the barrel closest to the seat and I still can't get it out, so far its looking like I need a new barrel unless there's a way to fix my problem

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Bit of a long shot. But i did this on my VK quite often. Put the key in try to turn it and pull, push and turn the steering wheel whilst trying to turn the key. DO that till you feel youve had enough or it comes loose. Or even an air compressor blowing down the barrel?

Skiddaphene

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm I'm sitting in my car now trying everything. It just doesn't want to let me fo to work tomorrow, I'm trying to bypass the immobiliser at the moment hoping that if I can start my car I can drive down to a shop and get them to take a look at it been waiting 40mins now but the lights still flashing on my factory immobiliser, if j get this to work in going to laugh if I got pulled up as it'll look like I'm stealing my car. Is there other ways a barrel locks on u and won't let u turn ur key at all?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a tab on the bottom of the barrel that breaks off and jams it. You won't be able to remove the barrel unless the key is in the ON position when you put a pin in the little hole on the side. What I have done in the past is take the switch off the bottom of the barrel and tap it out from the back. All it will do is break the locking clip off that holds it it, but the barrel is stuffed anyway so it won't matter.

Get yourself a new barrel and key it the same as the old one. Once you get it apart you will see how it is done.

Skiddaphene

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate seems like only option I have now I managed to bypass the immobiliser so at least it's drivable just have to allow 40-60mins before I have to drive hahahaha bit of a muck around but ohwell maybe the only option at the mo. Can I use a different key and barrel and just get an after Market immobiliser instead of the factory one? If so how much do u recon aftermarket immobilisers are these days?

Dwain

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
Hi iv got vs an barrel was stuffed so I put vn one in it an my car won't start now

Hi iv got a vs wagon the ignition is stuffed put new ignition in it out of a vn and it still won't start and ya still can open it with the old key that used to start it what can it be ????