Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel fail after new key

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
My VX Berlina needed a new key / remote setup as I ran over my old key with a lawn mower :doh:
I've never had an issue with my main key or spare to start the car.

I called the local mobile locksmith to come out and setup a new key / remote. I noticed while he was onsite (my work) a second van turn up. Once he finished he called me over to pay, I asked to fist check the key. Upon inspection the remote worked great, but I could not turn the key to start the car as the key would not turn. The locksmith showed me it you wiggle and twist hard enough it would finally budge and start the car. I expressed my concern that he was using 2 hands on the key to start my car! After what turned into a heated debate, with the second person to whom I assume was the boss, we realised even my spare would no longer turn the ignition at this stage. All they could offer was to pull it apart and possibly fit a new ignition barrel setup for $180 odd. I explained it had NEVER played up prior, and to see then wrenching on the key would had obviously damaged the barrel. After a pointless debate I left in anger and said just get it fixed as I needed a car to get work.

Later after the second effort on my car, both keys now work. They claimed the pins in the barrel were sticky in the old grease which I feel was more an easy excuse to give. They were very strong on the point "No warranty for this" and they "wanted nothing more to do with this". Both keys now feel doughy and wrong in the barrel.

I've now got concern for how long before I end up with an ignition barrel which will not longer start my car. I'm now thinking of ordering a new ignition barrel and fitting it as I need a car to get to work.

If this normal for a VX Berlina after a new key is cut?