Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition barrel stuck on on position. Can I just short out starter to start the car?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
OK im not having a lot of luck with my bloody cars as of late...

i went to get into my car, turned the key and it wouldn't start but its in the on position (car thinks its running) and the key can be just pulled out. Now its blocking the way to my trusty EL Falcon (lol) so I need to get it out of the way. I was going to pull it out the way with a mates car but Holden in all their wisdom decided it would be a good idea not to put any tow points on the Commodore...

So yeah, barrel is stuck in all position. Can I just short the starter so it atleast starts so I can move it out of the way and then remove the ignition fuse to turn it off? Or even if I could remove the starter relay and put 12v to it incase I need to move it again and dont want to be burned trying to short out the starter?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Personally, I would apply 12V to the purple wire (starter) on the ignition barrel, that way the BCM and PCM know whats happening also.

Before you do this though... Work out how you are going to shut it off afterwards ;)

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
double post

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I took the starter relay out, connected a wire to Number 30 pin and connected it to the battery. Started first go. To turn it off, I just removed the fuel pump relay and let it stall out. I know its not good for it but ****, I needed it out the way. I didnt even need the key which leads me another question, how the hell was this possible. I had a feeling the anti theft crap would stop me from doing this.

I have always been able to start this car with a spare key that is just metal and no circuitry lol

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
VT/VX are prone to breaking the end off the barrel that turns the switch, probably what has happened.

ignb.jpg

Another way to kill the running engine is to pull the efi fuses.