Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition Coil Placement Heating up Fail 253

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hi,

So I posted this question yesterday but thread has gone phantom, strange, I cant find it anywhere.

I'll keep it simple, ive had some starting issues (will not fire)in my VB Commo, just before this I had remounted the coil on the rear firewall above the passenger side rocker cover. Ive since replaced the coil but in the same location, I had the car out driving fine but again the coil has failed with just enough to make it home, ive seen coils placed in this location on earlier model commodores.

Will it be better to have the coil placed on the factory location in the inlet manifold, could the exhaust headers give off too much heat on the firewall for the coil to operate efficiently?

What other things should I look out for that may be causing my coils to burn out? Strange thing is, they both give off a good solid spark and the first coil which failed passed the resistance test on the multi-meter, they just cant start the car anymore.

anyone experienced similar

thanks anthony

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
oh, howd you find? ive searched my conversations, looked in general discussions and searched my username and all i get is a few old posts. thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I just went to your user page and clicked on recent activity.