Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition Leads or High Ratio Roller Rockers? V6

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey guys,

Got car serviced today and spoke to the mechanic about getting a bit of power in my v6. Still on P-plates, just wanted a little bit more power to get me by)

I suggested High Ratio Roller Rockers from MACE but he said it won't be worth it at all.

After servicing my car he said that if i replaced the ignition leads it would do as much as the roller rockers and be a few hundred bucks cheaper.Car has done 160,000kms and i don't believe the ignition leads have been changed for a fair while (probably since 100,000 or less, not sure only had car for 20,000). He said the leads would cost $450 as he will test them and tune them on some special $7,5000 machine he bought for it or something -_- .

I know I won't get much power out a VT V6 engine, but I'm not looking for massive gains, just enough to get me through being on my p plates. $800 or so is what i'd be looking to spend on a bit of power.

My main thought was, is this mechanic pulling my leg or not about the ignition leads really making more of a difference?

Thanks for any advice at all guys!

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
$450 for a set of leads WTF??????? are they made of gold?

$800 = roller rockers, plenum and manifold spacers

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
$450 for a set of leads WTF??????? are they made of gold?

$800 = roller rockers, plenum and manifold spacers

Yeah i think he said get performance ignition leads or something...unless i heard him wrong but im sure thats what he said.
You reckon those 3 things will make much difference? cost much labour?

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
The guy is pulling your leg. Ive never heard of such a mod, if it were available, every boyracer would have it.

Mr_VX has the right combo for yah. Rockers + Plenum & Manifold Spacers will net you good gains.

And in terms of labour, do it all yourself. Mace's rockers come with good instructions from what i've read.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
how do you "tune" leads???

Hense why im asking you guys. Is there any other sort of 'plug' thing on the car that he might be on about? :/ He said he wouldnt want to waste my money installing the rockers for me because they won't do anything for power?
Reckon I could do somethign better with the $800 or so bucks of got floating around for soem power mods on a p-plater V6?

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
The guy is pulling your leg. Ive never heard of such a mod, if it were available, every boyracer would have it.

Mr_VX has the right combo for yah. Rockers + Plenum & Manifold Spacers will net you good gains.

And in terms of labour, do it all yourself. Mace's rockers come with good instructions from what i've read.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II

Hmm he does the lead/plug things as a 2nd job thing. Goes around doing them for people he said. Used to be a stockcar racer too... i keep thinkign i may have misunderstood but you guys dont seem to have any idea what he is on about.

I might just do that Mr_VX said instead.

What ratio rollers would you prefer, high or ultra high? Also any idea on power gains it will actually do? And last Q i had was, will it make the car sound lumpier?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Hmm he does the lead/plug things as a 2nd job thing. Goes around doing them for people he said. Used to be a stockcar racer too... i keep thinkign i may have misunderstood but you guys dont seem to have any idea what he is on about.

I might just do that Mr_VX said instead.

What ratio rollers would you prefer, high or ultra high? Also any idea on power gains it will actually do? And last Q i had was, will it make the car sound lumpier?

you will probably get around 15-20 kw more from all them, and better low down torque like the buirks had

nah wont make your car lumpier , need a cam to do that lol