Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition problem

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Hey guys. For whatever reason something is wrong with my ignition. Whenever I attempt to turn the car on, you twist the key. I twist as much as I can however the car doesn't start. The reds go on and my deck goes on, but the car still doesn't turn on.

After fiddling around with it it eventually works, however the car doesn't start as normally as it did when I first got it. Does anyone know what the problem could be? :bang:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It's hard to say but it could be a faulty ignition switch.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
so let me get this straight when you turn the key to ingnition all the normal dash lights come up, then when you turn the key to start nothing happens? do you hear any sort of loud clicks from your engine bay? if you can hear a click and nothing happens it could be your starter motor but its hard to say at this stage maybe try to give us some more info on whats happening.

After fiddling around with it it eventually works, however the car doesn't start as normally as it did when I first got it. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

if you are turning the key on then off a few times which i think you are doing and after a while it eventually starts its probably the solenoid contacts in your starter motor

but if you are cranking the engine but it wont fire its probably something else

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Alright, well I hear no clicks, no noises, just a slight noise as if something is about to turn on if you get what I mean? Nearest thing I can think of is like turning a tv on on a channel that is black... You know it's on but there's no real sound type thing...

I think it's got something to do with the key... I told a mate of mine that owned a VS and he had a similar problem, he said if I hold the 'Unlock' button on my key at the same time as turning it, it should turn on every time but I don't know. I've tried it and it seems to work but I really don't wanna be doing that all the time...

Thanks for the replies guys!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the contact ring on the ignition. It may not be contacting the pin on the key properly. Bend it out a bit so it makes a constant contact through the whole turn of the key.

MUDDA

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
vs stalls whist driving

vs/v6 auto stalls while im driving or sitting at the lights then wont start again, it just turns and turns, then I sit for 5 mins or so and it starts, its dangerous and im sick of it happening, cause its too friggin cold now for me to be stuffing around, can someone help...cheers:cry:

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I've been told by a mate that I have to press and hold the 'Unlock' button on the actual key as well as turning for the car to turn on every time without trouble.

Is this normal?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
if you hit the unlock button, it should disarm the security and let you start the car for around 30 seconds. you can start it between the time you hit the button, and when the red security light starts flashing again.

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Ok, I've tried it before but it's not as 'reliable' you could say as holding it down whilst turning it. I think it's got something to do with the actual alarm and immobiliser... I'll have to test it out properly in the morning.