Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition stays on when key turned on

markjw8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore series II
Hi Guys,

Just today after washing the car 2001 vx wagon, I went to turn the key in the ignition and I felt something go and the car turned on but it didn't lock back into normal position (neutral mode?), its like the key stays on full, so you get that hideous noise (starter motor continuing??). I had to manually turn the key back to where its supposed to be and it sits there.

Does anyone know what has happened and how to fix it. Not sure if I need a new ignition barrel or is it the ignition switch?

Thanks.

markjw8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore series II
The VTVYSeries 2 repair manual on the CD from Melbourne Warehouse is missing the ignition switch assembly section on page 403, even though it says in the contents page on 402 body electrical. Anyone have this information?

markjw8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore series II
Okay thanks. Is the car still okay till drive for a while or not?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
yeah will be fine to drive as long as long as you turn the key back from the start position after the engine fires, otherewise you can do damage to the starter motor.

markjw8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore series II
Excellent, thanks for the help axe. Sorry for more questions. Do I need to disable the SRS as mentioned in the manual and can I remove the bottom cover without removing the steering wheel?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm pretty sure you need to remove the barrel before you can remove the switch.
Disconnect the battery to be on the safe side and no, you do not have to remove the steering wheel.