Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition switch

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by h0Ld3n`VN, Jul 25, 2006.

1. h0Ld3n`VN

h0Ld3n`VN New Member

Members Ride:
    NO CAR ATM.. -.-
    this is weird 2 days ago i was going to my car to start it up and realized the key wouldnt turn at all and i dont think ive got a steering wheel lock does anyone know why this happens?

2. azzfox

azzfox Braaap.

Members Ride:
    VE SS-V
    sounds like the locking mechimism in the ignition barrel is stuffed if you cant turn the key and have no lock. try putting the key in and wiggle the key and steering wheel while trying to turn the key. sometimes the key wont turn for me and that always works

3. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    VN's have the in built steering wheel lock.. So if the steerin wheel isnt moving the its cause you have activated that.. As azzfox said just wriggle the steering wheel tryin to turn it whilst u try turning the key at the same time...

4. h0Ld3n`VN

h0Ld3n`VN New Member

Members Ride:
    NO CAR ATM.. -.-
    thanks for replying guys but ive tryed wiggling the steering wheel and unlocking it when it first happened mayb i didnt do it properly but ive tryed for the past 2days trying to figure it out and its weird it just happened out of nowhere i never damage the ignition switch at all, i went to the holden dealers service place and he said it could be the ignition barrel, but i dont know i dont kinda trust them on there opinion...

5. redcedar

redcedar workaholic

Members Ride:
    Alto Grey MY12 SS
    if you have a spare key try it!
    I have just had to start using my spare key as the orig one is worn to a stage
    that it just won't work any more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. h0Ld3n`VN

h0Ld3n`VN New Member

Members Ride:
    NO CAR ATM.. -.-
    ive tryed using my spare key and it doesnt workkkk HOW WEIRD now my stupid steering wheel is locked and i have tryed everything its feels like its automatically locked and wont undo!

7. HDT_aero

HDT_aero Banned

Members Ride:
    manual VN aero
    take the surronund off and try wiggling the barrel itself and turn the key at the same time this may get you out of trouble but you will need a new barrel soon

8. h0Ld3n`VN

h0Ld3n`VN New Member

Members Ride:
    NO CAR ATM.. -.-
    :cry: i brought a new barrel from commodore wrecking seems in real good condition turns the car on works nice but now the steering wheel doesnt unlocked ... is it cause i didnt take the original barrel, i just disconnected the switch and put it on my new one.. but it didnt unlock the wheel some people say u need to take off the original barrel,,,, but i dont see why u have to cause its not connected? its just connected on the steering wheel poll thing that goes towards the enginee SO Weirdd,,, and i appericate for u guys replyingg its so complicated

9. azzfox

azzfox Braaap.

Members Ride:
    VE SS-V
    shhhhh.... keep your voice down :p