Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition switched to on, cd player doesn't turn on

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey all,

The cd player in my car doesn't turn on when the ignition is swtiched to on, it only comes on when the accessories are turned on. I wouldn't be too bothered about it but my dad said that it drains the battery pretty severely so now I would like to know if I can fix it. I have recently had the cd player installed, as some of you may know from a previous post I put up, but ever since I got the car, with the stock head unit, it still would only ever turn on when the accessories where turned on.

I hope everyone is ok with me posting so many questions, I can assure you that this is the last problem I have, for now anyway :p, this is just a great forum, the replies I get are very helpful so please keep it up.

Cheers

Luke

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
you've probably got the wires around the wrong way..

EDIT: or the 12v constant is connected to the acc wire somewhere..

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Do you mean when the car is running its not on the cd player should be on when the key is turned to accessories and when the car is running. it should not stay on when the ignition is off

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
if its a vb-vk (i have a vh and it does this so ill say it applies to all) is if you want the cd player on without the engine on turn the key towards you not the normal way see pic below... does that answer your question?

Attachments

• ignition.JPG
    ignition.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 280

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Yeh my car is a VK, but I tried to do the thing with turning the key backwards, doesn't work. I can't turn the key any further back.

When the car is running it works fine. I'm sure you all know this but I will say it anyway. There are 3 stages in the ignition, the first one is the On, which should turn on the cd player, the second is the accessories, which turns on lights and other stuff, and the 3rd is to start the car.

whitevc: yeah it might be that, is that hard to fix up?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
weird i have 3 clicks as well but like you the first one does nothing for me... but i can spin the key back, i have been broken into and they tried to start it and hacked away at my iginition barrel so maybe i have damage from that... do you lose memory when you turn the car off? if the constant is connected to an acc wire then you couldnt keep presets... check the wires behind the barrel and see if the first position has any wire connected. i havent seen in a barrel before but logically thats how it would be set up

9C1pack

Reaction score
To get my VB ignition to go back to Accessories I have to turn it backwards while jiggling the key in the lock.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
there you go give your key a jiggle. from what ive seen vb-vk are all so similar i dont see why this would be any different

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Sometimes ur move ur key to far fwd, try moving it back 1mm :) if u start ur car and it doesnt turn on try the samething.

my player setup

- yellow, battery
- red , 12v in fusebox
- black, negative

ps. depending on ur speakers with ur player, while ur car isnt running, it will drain quick.

SoulGrind

§ôµÏG®ïñD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SII Calais - VF SSV Redline
well, what you have to do is push the key in as you turn it backwards towards yourself.

So, Push in, Then turn towards yourself. Cheers.