Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition timing set up for 6cyl blue motor

Clarkie77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
Is this correct: No1.cyl top dead centre with harmonic balance groove in line with cam cover timing mark on 0 degree. Distributer/ Rotor button marks in line with housing mark.

Just fitted new distributer, wants to cough back through carbbie even when advanced and retarded distributer. Haven't touched valve timing - still as it was when car was last running.

Thanks.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Sounds like it's 180 degrees out.

Easiest way to do the timing, I do this on our v8's but would be the same with the 6's. Put ya finger over number 1 spark plug hole (remove spark plug), turn the motor over (even by hand will be fine) until ya feel positive pressure against ya finger, this will be the compression stroke. Now get it at top dead centre where the mark on the balancer is at 0, then turn the motor by hand until the mark on the balancer is at 6 degrees advanced (watever ur timing setting should be, my old 173 I'm sure was 6 degrees), and when it's there, plonk ur dizzy in, making sure the rotor button is smack bang on the mark you'll be using for number one, then chuck the cap on and give that a crack.

It doesn't matter where u line the dizzy up to in these things, as long as when u do the timing, u set the rotor button up at watever point ur using for number one....if that makes sense.

Doing it this way, ya won't even have to get the timing light onto it! When I chucked the 253 in me VK wagz, it started first blip of the key and idled spot on first shot!