Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

illegal number plate issue (Vic)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
^ last I looked at ADR’s they were being aligned to EU rules. So unlike the earlier lighting ADR revisions I looked at, which made sense within the one doc, you had to locate the European referenced docs to make sense of things in the latest lighting ADR revisions.

Googling “Australian vehicle lighting ADR” should find the appropriate links to ADR within Infrastructures Australia ;)

Problem is, does the lighting ADR discuss issues of number plate visibility or is that buried in some other ADR o_O

In any case, state registration authorities should have digested, interpreted and document how the ADR’s stand within their jurisdiction. So it’s usually enough to check with them on what is allowed or not. And they can usually point you to their state docs or the relevant ADR’s should you want to go down that rabbit hole.

Fixing the issue seems rather simple as has already been suggested... move the light bar up or number plate down or place light bar behind grill would also resolve the threat of a fine :p
I think it depends on what the cops target on the day, if its lights or number plates to roadworthy, if they want the revenue they will give you a fine if not a warning, I remember when I had my fog lights on in my first year of driving and was pulled over by local cops who gave me a warning and told me the boys from Melbourne are on their way down soon for a blitz and they wont be as nice.
Can always get a nudge bar that will solve it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's a problem with modern car design that fitting additional lights isn't as simple as it was in the days of steel bumpers. The flush fitting plastic facials on today's cars have no suitable mounting points, so nudge or bullbars are required to provide them. Some solutions are not always easy to find and some vehicles don't have ready made bars to suit. The numberplate bracket is the only solution in such cases.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It's a problem with modern car design that fitting additional lights isn't as simple as it was in the days of steel bumpers. The flush fitting plastic facials on today's cars have no suitable mounting points, so nudge or bullbars are required to provide them. Some solutions are not always easy to find and some vehicles don't have ready made bars to suit. The numberplate bracket is the only solution in such cases.
True that, in that case just make sure the plate is inline with the front light bar. Only thing I don't like with them is that they don't have much protection I slight bump on anything and they be stuffed. I seen a car with 3 light bars one on the bonnet up near the windshield and 2 on the grill it looked stupid.