Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

illegal on p's?

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah I still cant find a clean answer to do with this illegal moficiation thingo. Every P plater in Qld runs a modified catback exhuast or cannon, yet I hear of no one being fined for it. I have a catback exhaust and a CAI, which technically is a mod as well. But honestly you could change the oil to something not recommended by the car owners manual and gain 1 KW off it and that would be illegal. All I can really tell is that you are no sposed to drive cars with more that 200KW at the flywheel, cars with more than 8 cylinders or car with super/turbochargers. I think the rules are in place to keep people under the 200Kws, so if you got a VS commodore thats 147Kw at the engine when its new, you probably lose at least 30Kw coz its like 13 years old (if not more) so what difference does having a CAI or an exhaust make? Next to nothing on Kw gain. But plently of people get high lift rockers and cams because you cant tell whether people have them or not, especially if your a general cop who knows next to nothing about cars. Unless they impound your car on suspicion and then get someone with mech knowledge to look at it. Thats my thoughts and clarification would be great. Also someone said you cant modify on your red Ps but you can on your Greens? There is no difference between P1 and P2 except you can carry more than one person under the age of 21 after 11pm at night.

Last edited:

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
hey mate, might wanna check if the guy sellin it is tellin you everything. ran a check on vicroads and it came up 15/01/2010 not february :p

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
There is no difference between P1 and P2 except you can carry more than one person under the age of 21 after 11pm at night.

Nah thats sh*t mate....I got done at 8.30 on a sunday night, coming home from church, driving 3 k's back to my house with two mates, 16 & 17 year olds...got caught on the entrance to my street...400 meters from my house...****ING PRICK OF A BLACK UN MARKED XR6 TURBO!!!!

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Just looking at my P plate booklet here and it says, you can not drive a modified engine requiring approval under the transport operations regulation yadda yadda yadda. To me it sounds like it has to be a major mod for it to be undrivable hence a supercharger or turbocharger

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Nah thats sh*t mate....I got done at 8.30 on a sunday night, coming home from church, driving 3 k's back to my house with two mates, 16 & 17 year olds...got caught on the entrance to my street...400 meters from my house...****ING PRICK OF A BLACK UN MARKED XR6 TURBO!!!!

why are you angry? the cop was doing his job, just as you do yours. the laws are clear and you knew you were breaking them, but you did it anyway. and got caught. it's your fault.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
hmm, im still trying to convince my mate to buy it,

Why did u want your mate to buy this car in question. It looks **** house, and its from Cranbourne. End of story.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
the passenger restrictions doesnt bother me at the slightest, i hate having a car full of people, also having the passenger restrictions cancels you out for being the driver when you go to the city en such haha:thumbsup:

anyways back on topic technically yes its illegal to have that car if your mate got his licence after july 2007 yadda yadda yadda lol

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'm not 100% about mini-spool legallities, but really unless you are using the car to drift, you will just put copious strain on the axels and wheels, you will also see premature tyre wear occuring as the spool forces the tires to spin directly together(effectively only one solid axle), unlike an LSD (limited slip differential) which allows a limited amount of free spin between the two wheels (plenty for normal driving, parking, etc..)

Your very misinformed about spools. Best to let the people who know about them talk about them ;)

They are illegal on any road car, but thats the least of a P platers problems.

blindedinchains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
In vic, the red p's are supposably being scrapped anyway.
They are getting rid of the 1 person restriction and having 4 years of red p's, or so I hear.
I wonder if this will change any restrictions. . .