Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

illegal structures

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-04/melbourne-man-buys-home-with-illegal-structures/10178320
What you all reckon ? As I've only ever sold 1 property and brought another, my oldman never cared about any council permits and made me extend the shed twice, after he died when we were selling his home I said to the real estate agent what about the buildings without permits he said every third house around here is like that don't worry about it. Shut up
he said thing when I told him the gas heater was rooted and shouldn't be used.

The bloke that brought my oldmans house knew there was no permit for some of the shed extensions at my fathers house I remember avoiding that question when I briefly spoke to him and gave him a permit for the previous part as he liked the extension he left it at that.

The first house I wanted to buy my solicitor / conveyancer told me to run away because of no building permits for the sheds. The house I ended up buying the conveyancer showed me the plans and asked if thats all the building thats there she never went to the property's.
It appears theres as many incompetent professionals as dodige mechanics.
Or did he know and hes crying because he got caught?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a pit in my shed which is not allowed. When I sell I will disclose it and then it will be up to the new owners to decide what they do with it. I suspect most blokes would be happy to have a pit, even if it's not ever going to pass council approval.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In WA it is a requirement to produce a permit if the buyer asks for one. If you have built something without a permit and the buyer doesn't ask, then you don't have to produce it. After that, it's no longer a requirement, IE, if the second buyer then sells and the third buyer asks for a permit, he just says that the buildings were existing, he doesn't have to produce a permit.

But on a safety issue, a permit just ensures any structures are built to code. Oh, and so the council can value it appropriately to incresae your rates.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ That last sentence about covers it.

When I built my deck I changed the positioning and made sure it fell in the guidelines of not needing consents/permits. It's all built to code regardless, actually it's build better than code really.

The bloke down the street replaced his deck not long after, due the height of his he needed a permit, his permits cost more than my whole deck....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sheesh my deck was close to $10k and I did most of the work myself. The veranda on top was probably $6k again doing a fair bit myself. How much are the building permits in NZ? My whole house permit as owner builder, inc shed was a tad under $4k and that is considered expensive compared to places like Adelaide.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Permit/consent cost is impossible to know until you have drawn up the plans etc because the permit/consent cost includes a %age of the cost of the build so there is no fixed price... It's a total ******* scam.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bastards get you anywhere they can, same in Tas, compared to mainland.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'd strongly recommend anybody contemplating doing work without a building permit to reconsider. The problem is it only takes 1 shitty neighbour with too much time on their hands and you are in for a world of pain. That said, if you do decide to sell the place (and unless you plan on living forever you will eventually) then odds are you will be found out with the potential of the sale falling thru unless you are very lucky and get somebody like the guy in the OP's article. Even then there is the risk of them bringing action against you down the track.

Do you need a permit?? Check with your local building authority or council. For Victoria the answer lies here for most circumstances: http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/as.../PN-32-When-is-a-Building-Permit-Required.pdf

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My neighbor built his entire house without council approval. I have NFI what will happen when he dies and it comes time to sell. He might get away with it as in Mathinna Tas nearly every place was built without permits. That's only because most homes are around 100 years old. There has already been sht fights in the town over septic tanks attached to houses but on land not belonging to the house, eg on neighbouring vacant allottments.