Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Illegal things

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Hey guys,
Im not sure if i posted this in the right area please guide me to the right area if i didnt already put this in the right area.

I was just wondering if some of things where illegal.
-Mirror Tini
-Airbag suspension
-Tinted indicator and brake lights
-Neons (i dont like them but want to know)
-No side indicators

just wondering if these things are legal ... in Victoria
I know that p platers aren't meant to have turbo or supercharger or even v8's
I broke that rule :p

Thanks.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
-Mirror Tini - Yes
-Airbag suspension - Yes if they arent self leveling with a handbrake switch and engineered.
-Tinted indicator and brake lights - Yes
-Neons (i dont like them but want to know) - Yes (rule is any light that can distract other drivers)
-No side indicators - Not sure... .

The indicators im not sure about - see VP commodores. But meh.

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
The side indicators rule is if the vehicle came from the factory without side indicators then they do not have to be installed, however if they did come with the car, they have to be kept, there isnt a law that stops you from changing what ones you have.
Installing flutes from a vz SS onto a calais. As long as there is still a working repeater there, its alright.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
-Mirror Tini
-Airbag suspension
-No side indicators

all of those are illegal.

mirror tint depends on luminescence tests. cant remember the exact figure but i think its around 5% on the front and 25 for the rear, im sure someone will correct me
air bag suspension will need an engineers. any mdification to the suspension system that greatly alters the rebound or travel needs to be certified. having said that if it allowes the car to go lower than 90mm it wont pass an engineer anyway
any discolouration of lights and signaling devices are illegal. there are strict chromatic guidelines as to colour and luminescence for all reflectors and light emitting devices. changing the colour will require a retest, which is around 400 bucks per light (each side) and will most probably fail anyway, but you will still pay the fee. this applies to neons too. any light emitting device needs its chormatic scale measured, direction of illumination and luminescence (brightness) anything blue is illegal completely. rule of thumb is: red is always facing backwards, amber sideways and white front ways (save for the reverse lights)

side indicators became an ADR in 1992(if memory serves, it was around then anyway), so anything after 1992 needs to have them fitted, and they MUST illuminate yellow. so clear lenses are fine as loong as the globe is yellow and has passed its emission test.

help?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The side indicators rule is if the vehicle came from the factory without side indicators then they do not have to be installed, however if they did come with the car, they have to be kept, there isnt a law that stops you from changing what ones you have.
Installing flutes from a vz SS onto a calais. As long as there is still a working repeater there, its alright.

this is so wrong for so many reasons.

as i said in the other post, anything built after 92' needs side indicators. changing them to different lenses is ok as long as the new lenses have been tested and meet criteria, changing to an indicator off another totally different is illegal.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
All the above is illegal, neons are illegal only if you have them on while driving on public roads, If you go to a show etc, sure go for it. Just dont have them on while driving etc. Like musical air horns, can have them fitted, but cant be the main horn on the car.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
-Mirror Tini
-Airbag suspension
-No side indicators

all of those are illegal.

mirror tint depends on luminescence tests. cant remember the exact figure but i think its around 5% on the front and 25 for the rear, im sure someone will correct me
air bag suspension will need an engineers. any mdification to the suspension system that greatly alters the rebound or travel needs to be certified. having said that if it allowes the car to go lower than 90mm it wont pass an engineer anyway
any discolouration of lights and signaling devices are illegal. there are strict chromatic guidelines as to colour and luminescence for all reflectors and light emitting devices. changing the colour will require a retest, which is around 400 bucks per light (each side) and will most probably fail anyway, but you will still pay the fee. this applies to neons too. any light emitting device needs its chormatic scale measured, direction of illumination and luminescence (brightness) anything blue is illegal completely. rule of thumb is: red is always facing backwards, amber sideways and white front ways (save for the reverse lights)

side indicators became an ADR in 1992(if memory serves, it was around then anyway), so anything after 1992 needs to have them fitted, and they MUST illuminate yellow. so clear lenses are fine as loong as the globe is yellow and has passed its emission test.

help?

Yet again ARI is the king and a walking encyclopedia. No question too difficult for da man.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Wow you are very informed, thanks for passing it on to me..

so basically the law stops us doing anything cool to our cars. Well done Victoria