Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Illumination for audio buttons on steering wheel

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hey guys just a quick one, in order to illuminate the audio buttons on the steering wheel do I just have to replace my clockspring to a Calais clockspring or are there are parts involved?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
No-one knows?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Hey guys just a quick one, in order to illuminate the audio buttons on the steering wheel do I just have to replace my clockspring to a Calais clockspring or are there are parts involved?

That is possible but ive heard the clockspring ain't cheap. Also make sure that the audio buttons u have or are getting are out of a Calais or HSV.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
That is possible but ive heard the clockspring ain't cheap. Also make sure that the audio buttons u have or are getting are out of a Calais or HSV.

Hey Paul,

Yea it's pretty funny you say that, I bought one for $30.00 knowing it wasn't cheap, but I saw it so I bought it hoping that I wouldn't need any other components. It has come out of a Calais which I verified with the previous owner.

John_ls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina LS1
VZ berlina have the wiring provision for illuminating stereo controls in the clock spring already. i've looked into this a bit and have found you will need the calais black buttons which have the LEDs behind each button and must be from VZ as VY is different plugs. you can then change the button covers to your grey ones so it matchs the rest of your interior.

There is also a missing wiring link between the BCM and the clock spring connection in the steering column. its a 12v+ and ground connection. i need a wiring diagram for the pin out on the bcm and the steering column connection. i know of one person who has done it and he said he would get back to me and never did lol.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
the auto sv6 buttons lit up to

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
^^^ Pity the manual ones dont. Ive got the black audio buttons out of a VZ SS. Do these illuminate in SS?

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
VZ berlina have the wiring provision for illuminating stereo controls in the clock spring already. i've looked into this a bit and have found you will need the calais black buttons which have the LEDs behind each button and must be from VZ as VY is different plugs. you can then change the button covers to your grey ones so it matchs the rest of your interior.

There is also a missing wiring link between the BCM and the clock spring connection in the steering column. its a 12v+ and ground connection. i need a wiring diagram for the pin out on the bcm and the steering column connection. i know of one person who has done it and he said he would get back to me and never did lol.

Sounds like a pain, how positive are you about the information you have provided?

John_ls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina LS1
clock spring and the buttons i am 100% sure on. you could confirm by calling holden and getting the part number for a calais clock spring and a berlina one. the wiring part is only what ive been told by someone who has had theirs modified by a friend of theirs so its second hand info. like i said i need a wiring diagram to see how its all hooked up.