Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm A Mod Newbie And Need Serious Advice

Erebus83

Are You Ready To RUMBLE??
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon: VE SS - Nitrate Metallic - 6sp Man
Good Morning All,

Well, as the title states, I am a newbie at the "mod" game as I currently drive a Hyundai Accent :hmmm: however, I am going to be buying my first ever V8 in the form of a 2010 VE SS :beer chug:

Anyway, I am in the process of looking at extra stuff I can do to the car once I finally get it.

What I would like to know, is if anyone can help me with explaining to me what "headers", "cats", and "extractors" are, how they work, what brands are the better ones, what brands to avoid... etc.

Also, does anyone know if buy adding headers, cats, extractors and a new exhaust system affect the warranty of the vehicle?

I have read a few threads on exhausts in the forums, and I am seriously confused, but I can tell you that I won't be getting the AFM Version. I don't overly care about how much more power I can gain, I just want it have have a real deep rumble (without going stupidly over-board or getting pulled up by Police or the Main Roads Department).

If anyone can help me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Erebus

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
:)Welcome

Enjoy your purchase.

I'm seriously confused too.

I can't understand why someone would buy a new car and then spend lots more money to add extras.

Why not upgrade to a car that has the features you want? EDIT Second thoughts; after re-visiting that video of EXCESSV, mods are good:hmmm:

Here's a link that might help

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-wm/59545-excessv-has-arrived.html

And a video ( Best turned up loud)

2008 :: EXCESSV03.flv video by Deano_22 - Photobucket

Fast forward the vid to 1minute and 13 seconds

Last edited:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Surely you're not serious about buying a VE SS and want to 'do all that stuff to it' !! Think you best concentrate on your study for end of year exams, get through those, get a job, save your money and then think about 'buying your first car'. Good luck.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
ve ss 2010 you will have to get a manual if you dont want it to have afm on it
get a good exhaust prob looking at 2-2.5g to get the beast sound whilst keeping it all above par
go to a preformance shop and they will give you options cat back for sound
full headers back for more go
warranty will be effected on any part that is compramised or fails due to the exhaust only
have fun and enjoy

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if you are switching from a Hyundai Accent to a V8 VE, I'd say it will be WAY more than enough for you at the moment, drive the car, get used to it, have fun, and THEN if you still want more from it, do a mod or 2

cheers :smoking:

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just To Set The Record Straight (Part 1)

Surely you're not serious about buying a VE SS and want to 'do all that stuff to it' !! Think you best concentrate on your study for end of year exams, get through those, get a job, save your money and then think about 'buying your first car'. Good luck.

No offence mate, but perhaps you should check into who I am before making a comment such as this. Don't get me wrong, it really doesn't bother me, however, it does make you look like a fool.

If you looked at my profile, you will have seen that I am 26, and neither at Primary School, High School nor University... therefore, I have no "end of year exams."

As for getting a job, I do have one, and fairly good paying one too. I've also been working since I finished High School back in 2000.

And in regards to "buying my first car"... well, technically the VE will be the 3rd car I will have bought and owned. So, it's not like I'm a complete moron when it comes to vehicles.

In addition... I didn't say that I "was" going to modify the VE SS. All I asked was if people could explain to me what "headers", "extractors" and "cats" were and what they did. I know a few people who have bought and/or driven a Stock VE SS and they have all told me that the Factory Fitted Exhaust is very quiet. And really, what is the point in driving/owning a V8 if you can't hear the beauty of the massive engine? Unless, of course you have it for the power for towing :)

Again, I mean no offence to you in any of this. I just felt the need to set the record straight

:smoking:

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if you are switching from a Hyundai Accent to a V8 VE, I'd say it will be WAY more than enough for you at the moment, drive the car, get used to it, have fun, and THEN if you still want more from it, do a mod or 2

cheers :smoking:

I hear what you're saying mate. As I said in my initial post though, I'm not looking to gain power by doing any mods. I know a few people who have bought/driven a Stock VE SS, and they have all said that the Factory Fitted Exhaust is very quiet and if you'd like a louder sound, you'd need to mod the exhaust. All the vid's I have watched on YouTube all have VE SS's with mods such as Cats with a 3" Dual Exhaust, hence why I've asked what a "Cat" is? Others have also modified the "extractors"... and when you're new to all of this "mod" stuff you can't help but sit there and scratch your head at what the hell these people are on about.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I hear what you're saying mate. As I said in my initial post though, I'm not looking to gain power by doing any mods. I know a few people who have bought/driven a Stock VE SS, and they have all said that the Factory Fitted Exhaust is very quiet and if you'd like a louder sound, you'd need to mod the exhaust. All the vid's I have watched on YouTube all have VE SS's with mods such as Cats with a 3" Dual Exhaust, hence why I've asked what a "Cat" is? Others have also modified the "extractors"... and when you're new to all of this "mod" stuff you can't help but sit there and scratch your head at what the hell these people are on about.

Mate, that's why a link was provided. (not exactly answering the question but a start).

Try a search first, I'm sure you'll come up with something. A famous person once told me that they couldn't be bothered searching so best of luck.

You may find that a quicker way could be to google; Extractors wikipedia, Headers wikipedia etc.

The help is there for you, just checkout my post which will give you a bit of information. Sometimes the same posts come up time and time again so you may get a sigh from the forum. They aren't purposely trying to come across as pr...s but at times its best to get to know the forum before posting especially when you have plenty of time before purchasing a vehicle.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Good Morning All,

Well, as the title states, I am a newbie at the "mod" game as I currently drive a Hyundai Accent :hmmm: however, I am going to be buying my first ever V8 in the form of a 2010 VE SS :beer chug:

Anyway, I am in the process of looking at extra stuff I can do to the car once I finally get it.

What I would like to know, is if anyone can help me with explaining to me what "headers", "cats", and "extractors" are, how they work, what brands are the better ones, what brands to avoid... etc.

Also, does anyone know if buy adding headers, cats, extractors and a new exhaust system affect the warranty of the vehicle?

I have read a few threads on exhausts in the forums, and I am seriously confused, but I can tell you that I won't be getting the AFM Version. I don't overly care about how much more power I can gain, I just want it have have a real deep rumble (without going stupidly over-board or getting pulled up by Police or the Main Roads Department).

If anyone can help me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Erebus

Heres a clip VE SS the exhaust note consisting of 1 7/8" Castle Hill extractors, 3" Magnaflow ...

YouTube - My Red VE SS

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
From what I understand, headers and extractors are the same thing - in the uk we called em exchaust manifolds :)
They take the gases from the head (hence header) and extract it to the exhaust pipe.
Nowadays a catalytic converter (cat) sits between the header and the rest of the exhaust (cat back).
Loosely speaking, noise comes from cat back, power from cat forward. I got a cat back on mine and cai (cold air intake - fancy name for a repositioned air filter) and noise is great - and I got about 18% more power and torque (with a matching tune). Changing the cat and header would yield more power and maybe change the noise a bit - but the noise diff won't be as dramatic as the cat back versus stock.
As to brands - no idea. I got xforce on mine and it droans like buggery at 1800-2000rpm (around 110-115 on the highway) so I couldn't recommend. You do get used to it though and above 2200rpm it sounds like a supercar - kinda :)
Hope that helps