Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm A Mod Newbie And Need Serious Advice

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Oh... this may be a stupid question... but IF I get extractors put on, do I need to get a CAI as well?

No you dont. CAI is a whole different kettle of fish. Dont get to ahead of yourself because if you start getting the Cold Air Intakes you need to start thinking of getting it tuned (Some/most OTRCAI's - Over The Radiator Cold Air Intakes require a MAFless tune which is frowned upon by the EPA and I don't think Holden will appreciate you rolling into the workshop for warranty work and you're ecu has been flashed).

Lets focus on the exhaust for now :beer chug:

And just to clarify...

Pacemaker do Extractors and Cat Backs?

I apologise if I sound hopeless, I just want to make sure I know what I'm asking for when I go to shop around. Don't want to sound like an a$$

Pacemaker do entire exhaust set ups. So yes they will do the the exhaust from the cat backwards and they also do the extractors. For a complete set up you will probally be looking at around the 2000 mark, give or take.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I don't want to sound stupid, but don't all exhausts look the same?

Sorry, didnt mean look as in, physical appearance, more the price and finish. Whether you wanted something in mild steel or stainless etc, or just finding the right one for the right price:beer chug:

Erebus83

Are You Ready To RUMBLE??
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon: VE SS - Nitrate Metallic - 6sp Man

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just want to say a massive thank you to EVERYONE on here who has given their time and patience in helping me out with learning all this jazz. I know there are probably a million and one threads exactly the same out there, but after reading 5 threads that seemed close to what I was needing, it seemed like I was still even below that kind of basic knowledge.

So, to everyone who has taken the time to give me advice, send me links and help steer me in the right direction... Cheers!!!

I will keep you all posted with how I go :)

Razor 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Hi everyone I'm new also !

I've got a 2006 VE Calais V v8 with just high flow cats dual 3" ( csv brand ) exhaust and no extractors.
I really love the sound it puts out ( a deep rumble ) and it turns a lot of heads also.
You will be more than happy with this set up !

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh crap... One LAST question (I promise)...

Will changing the Extractors and getting a Cat Back System affect the O2 Sensors???

Or will they only be affected if I were to get the Cats changed? (Which I'm not going to)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Originally Posted by BOY1236
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if you are switching from a Hyundai Accent to a V8 VE, I'd say it will be WAY more than enough for you at the moment, drive the car, get used to it, have fun, and THEN if you still want more from it, do a mod or 2
cheers
I hear what you're saying mate. As I said in my initial post though, I'm not looking to gain power by doing any mods. I know a few people who have bought/driven a Stock VE SS, and they have all said that the Factory Fitted Exhaust is very quiet and if you'd like a louder sound, you'd need to mod the exhaust. All the vid's I have watched on YouTube all have VE SS's with mods such as Cats with a 3" Dual Exhaust, hence why I've asked what a "Cat" is? Others have also modified the "extractors"... and when you're new to all of this "mod" stuff you can't help but sit there and scratch your head at what the hell these people are on about. :smoking:

I'm not trying to be rude or anything but :beer chug:
Have to agree with BOY1236 just be carefull. I went from a corolla to a v6 very fast I got a shock. I have driven old school v8 and 6`s.

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Not sure if you guys are confused here but he wants the exaust for the noise and rumble not performance gain im sure he knows it is gunna be a huge upgrade from a hyundai..lol

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Sorry couldn`t help myself I know he knows :whistling

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure if you guys are confused here but he wants the exaust for the noise and rumble not performance gain im sure he knows it is gunna be a huge upgrade from a hyundai..lol

I really appreciate the concern from those who have warned me about the power upgrade. Even my parents have tried to convince me to buy a Subaru WRX just so the power increase isn't as high. But f*ck that, I have wanted a V8 for years now (ever since I heard a HSV idle passed me)... so a V8 is what I'm going to get.

I mean going from my Hyundai Accent with 77 kW of power and the torque peaking at 144 Nm @ 3,000 rpm (figures based on Stock Vehicle) to the VE SS which boasts 270kW @ 5700rpm of power and the torque sitting at 530Nm @ 4400rpm (figures based on Stock Vehicle and taken from Home - Holden. Go better.), it is a HUGE power upgrade.

However, I have also had my licence and been driving for almost 10 years now and even at 26, I already have a Rating 1 For Life. It my time of driving, I haven't just driven the Hyundai... I've driven various vehicles such as a Mazda RX8, Holden VY Commdore, Ford BA MkII XR6 Turbo and a Ford BF FPV GT-P.

For a while, I will be rather cautious with the VE SS until I do get used to the power and handling (keep in mind, this vehicle is going to set me back $50,000+ without any after market work on it), however LoudVTS2 is spot on in saying that I only want to modify the exhaust for the sound, not the performance. Trust me, go to your local Holden Dealer, and ask them to start up and rev a Stock VE SS and you'll see exactly why.