Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Im back brothers and sisters, but now Im L67'd

bogan_bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS
So, after a good while away from Holden I'm back in style and its good to be back. Ive owned many Holden's and was always a Holden man but got bored and needed a challenge. I had everything from the enemy to ricers and even Patrols. Well, its the GQ I had that got me my new ride. Tb42E 5 speed with a 3" lift. What i got for the Troll was a 1996 VS Equipe, with a L67 running 10psi, pacies with 3" pipe all the way, matching auto that's been shift kitted. Friggin things a weapon and half my fuel bill compared to the GQ.
First up, I know the charger had new bearings, coupler and a freshen up 20,000km ago. Id rather change the charger oil and be sure, so that's first on the list. Ill do a run to Holden Monday for that. Ive got some response speakers coming for the rears in the mail ( cheap on ebay for $50), they'll go in when they arrive. Speaking of audio, she is screaming for an amp, so that will come too. Aiming for no sub or light designed sub so I dont rip myself off on any ponies.
She needs LSD. Its a single spinner solid axle rear. She fries tyres 1st, 2nd for sure as is. Needs new tyres soon too. Blokes got cheapos up front and they'll need a change. Rears are Dunlop Sp Sports so okish. She also has the dreaded harmonic balancer rattle on idle, but its running true so its more a pain than harm but will need to be done.
ID be interested to know if its on lows with the 17's as is. Its a good height but I reckon a stiffer setup would be better as its a little boaty. Best thing about a VS, parts a plenty and friggin cheaper than fourby parts for sure. This ones a keeper for me. Ive got front complete twin piston fronts to go on to her but for now the single bangers are ok. Needs a bleed for sure so Im going to flush it while Im there. Do it once and do it right. Im aiming for a cruiser and a bit of fun. She does that now and Id love to see how she went at the lights as is. The previous owner had a manila folder full of its entire history and the l67 history. He is a mechanic and this was his pride and joy, but with his license on the line the Vs had to go. Im too old to hoon, but I still have my nuts in one bag.
My phrase for this car, more ass than class. That's saying something as its all power options and is only missing leather and climate control.
IMG_20141017_162247_zpsb8dd4d2d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20141017_162253_zps1a19616c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20141017_162310_zps9613c0ae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
MACE can supply the supercharger oil, I think it's cheaper too than getting it from Holden. While you're on the MACE website you may as well grab their CAI as well as it will let the charger breathe easier.

MACE also have replacement balancers should you need one.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
^^ cold air, there are also some how to posts on here for modding the standard box. Judging by the pic id guess you have standard height suspension. Look at forum sponsor section GSL Rallysport for an idea on good setup and prices.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I reckon it's a little lower.. my wags has 17s and standard height. Appears to have more gap between wheel and arch.
May as well buy the overdrive? Harmonic balancer. Get a little more ponies possibly. I agree on the MACE CAI.

bogan_bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS
Cheers. Ill check em out.
Yeah, Im thinking inch lower on 17's is its height. Id consider some lovells. I had the gt shocks and king spring lows from ebay on an ef. The gt shocks sucked so Ill look around. I checked out the air cleaner today, was thinking speed holes and a lukey cleanable panel filter for road. Ill pod it and dump the light for a pass. The induction pipes massive, id say 4".
It goes real hard as is and is tempting to jump from 60 to 110 in a blink if not careful. Thing is, its a nice cruiser too, ill leave the passes for the strip. The last bloke who owned this car and a mate who had similar charged vs a while back both almost lost their licenses. Just got to not drive like a dick. I told a mate, I want to keep my license and bloods too hard to get off and Im too old to scrub. Its a fun car. Ive called it the mullet. Business up front and party at the back lol. She fries tyres too if your not careful and they aint cheap. A car of this speed pulling the receipts of work it came with, while pulling excellent economy is a rare thing. Ill enjoy the track and look forward to seeing what it will pass at.
First thing is Id like to get it balanced and aligned to be sure. It feels boaty yet the shocks look not too old. The bloke had said he had redone the back for towing, but it was more fun to drive than really sus it out before the rain came over.
Ended up getting a 5 speed setup with it, but regos due and my knees are stuffed, so sticks no good. It looks mint with clutch assembly, ecu, hoses, bolts, cross member, axles, box. Im taking offers if anyone can enjoy it. Ive been told it had 200,000km on it, but the bloke was a qualified mechanic and this was for his baby. Im in the blue mountains of Sydney and can deliver to Penrith NSW. PM me with an offer, worst I can say is no and sorry for the plug, cant post for sale ad for some reason.
IMG_20141019_123041_zps3c59673c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20141019_123015_zpsb75a3587.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mother fck. .. I Wonna get a manual conversion so bad... too bad it's a fair few hours drive...

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
I wouldn't expect an L67 hiding under this. Good pick up mate, must be a fun one to drive

bogan_bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS
Sure is. The bloke who built it did a good job. Its a clean sleeper but the white walls aint me though. Now, for the stereo and I think the water pump could do with a change soon. What eBay jobbies are decent? I was looking at a gates or an OEM.

T5 Box kits is still for sale and I'd settle for a fair price. I can meet Sydney area but that's got to come into the haggle.

bogan_bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS
Well thats friggin bullshit. Looks like all im getting for the manual box and goodies sold $350 for the lot. Oh well, thats $350 less for rego. Found today the water pumps on its way out. Leaking slightly onto the serpentine belt and the o ring on the heater pipes leaking too. Ive garaged it till they get done. Ive got a manual ( gregorys) but it doesnt cover the vs L67, is the water pump principles the same as an ecotec on the L67? Im going for a charged vs pump but is the removal and install the same? Its been 11 years since i worked on a 3.8 so please excuse the idiocy but id rather be sure than wrong. Also, whats the o ring size on the top heater pipe to engine and is bursons a goer over genuine?

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
You'll need genuine o rings.
Water pump is the exact Same. Same principles involved to remove and install.
If you go Master part you gotta center the pulley or the timing cover gets chewed.

Also, there's a specific l67 manual that covers only l67. But it's dear as fk.