Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Im having trouble installing my sub.

hobbsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Hi im installing my sub and amp but having heaps of trouble finding a gromet or room to fit my power cable through my firewall in my VS (manual gear box) iv searched most the blogs other people have posted and followed some instructions. None have worked or deemed possible.

Has anyone used a different technique besides goin through ur clutch gromet or the top left or right power looms?

Any info would be much appreciated, Cheers
Hobbsy.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
In my VS i ran my power cables through next to the copper heater hose in that grommet, there would be enough room for probably a 2awg or smaller cable. Alternatively drill a hole and put a new grommet in, though make sure you look behind the firewall in the cabin to ensure your not drilling into anything important.
Cheers mate.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
this is what I have done with my last 4 cars.

no f*cking around, enough room to run at least two 0ga cables on all the cars I've done.

holez.jpg

pull the plastic out of the wheel arch, make a few holes, chuck some grommets in, and replace the plastic.

The first pic is a ford laser, the following pics are a commodore VL.

I have a hydraulic knock out punch, so you drill an 8mm hole, and "punch" it out to 20mm or so ;)

on some of the commodores, you'll find holes already there for the radio antenna cable, and side indicators ;)

61529835.jpg

69978346.jpg

30374882.jpg

88146620.jpg

59740606.jpg

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've seen people do this but dont suggest it, seeing as there is a cable in your wheel arch.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
...and?
the wheel arch plastic screws on with most cars.

you can also attach the cable inside the arch, there's often already other cables running there!

I'd much rather have the cable exit the engine bay as close to the battery as possible, and avoid everything hot and moving thats in the engine bay!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I prefer to stick to running it straight from my battery through the firewall and into the cabin, i've only ever done this on all my installs and i know the majority of poeple on MEA do the same, unless they are building a dedicated sound car. Though agian, just my 2 cents.
Cheers.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I prefer to stick to running it straight from my battery through the firewall and into the cabin, i've only ever done this on all my installs and i know the majority of poeple on MEA do the same, unless they are building a dedicated sound car. Though agian, just my 2 cents.
Cheers.

if there is no hole in the firewall, how do you suggest doing that?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Drill a hole in the firewall and put an appropriate grommet but 90% of the time you can safely 'sneak' the cable through an existing wiring loom grommet if you are not confident in drilling.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
why would you wanna attempt to drill a hole through the firewall when its 10 times easier going via the wheel arch?

what don't you like about my method?