Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Im just looking for a bit of info for my turbo setup

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
First up, I need to know if my stock PCV setup in my VR V6 will stand up to boost or should i be blocking it up and run an external vent?

and second, i cant workout of im going to need to go twin throttle body or not. i have two stock v6 TBs and was going to cut the top back off my manifold and build up a bigger plenum with twins. soop has suggested that i run a single 90mm tb, but im concerned that i wont be able to run the stock TPS and IAC on an LS1 TB.... i could possibly get a stock v6 TB bored out but that will only take it to 70mm.

im aiming for 400hp, running a t70 and everything except a stroker kit. i have plenty of headroom in the fuel stake, im just looking for the best intake system design.

heres what it looks like atm.
07-07-09_1310.jpg

delcowizzid has an interesting idea with his VB where he has just extended the elbow towards the D/side which i may steal the idea of, but id rather just change the top to make a bigger plenum for boost.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Im pretty sure if u geta ls1 TB all the plugs are the same iv got a 90mm i waz going to use on my turbo set up but never got round to it.
As for the twin TB i waz told not to bother and im pretty sure the the green vs twin turbo that waz in street commodores was running 9's just had a ported vs TB on it

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
never gave me any problems. with the TB look on Ebay thats where i got mine only paid $100 for it
It wont be has easy as bolt on if you or you know anyone who is handy wit a tig shouldnt be to hard make a flange to fit it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'm fairly sure delcowizzid runs the standard PCV but blocks of the breather pipe coming from the TB and then fits a little breather filter on the rocker covers instead. if that doesn't work then block the PCV valve and lit breathe out the filters on the rocker covers.

there probably isn't anything to be gained by running a TB that has a greater diameter the the inter cooler pipe internal diameter.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
there probably isn't anything to be gained by running a TB that has a greater diameter the the inter cooler pipe internal diameter.

indeed. i didnt actively think bout that... and since im only running 3 inch pipe maybe a 70mm TB is all ill need.

edit: just went out to investigate my parts pile, i have a spare ecotec TB i could use, theyre bigger than a stock buick one. arent they also bigger than a 5L TB?

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i block the pcv valves off normally but im just trying an inline oring sealed jobby off a jappa at the moment on the vb to help draw oil away from the leaky rear main .stock pcv's leak boost into the crankcase can buy oring sealed ones from usa that will fit in the stock location and seal tight.the vb throttle i just run part of a 3" donut off a flange that iblown cut me out for the inlet manifold and TB ends i have flanges for 2 more they will be going on all 3 of the cars when i get round to making another neck or 2.TB's are stock v6 items its making enough power to twist 28 spline vn axles and kill T5's so we arnt really increasing power for now LOL
IMGP4161.jpg
IMGP4168.jpg

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
so have you had it dynoed delco? what did you do to twist the axles like that? is it from starting skids in 2nd? and do you think that drifting would be as hard on it? you would think that the jap spec cars with IRS would be killing CV joints left right and center with some of the power they make....

im thinking i might just get my manifold pcv welded up and run the vent off the rocker cover into a catch can. i have a set of the VNs1 alloy covers on the VR so could easily drill and tap the D/s cover also

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
no dyno but off immortalitys moroso slide rule with our best drag time last week of [email protected] on 14psi puts it at 440hp.what do you mean 2nd gear skids you just stand on it in any gear it will skid by itself LOL 3rd and 4th curb to curb on the limiter at speed is not pleasant :D the axles twist when it gets traction as it taps the limiter i think or when the car goes fast enough to get traction :D didnt snap any axles launching at 5600rpm havnt pulled them to look at them yet may be spagetti