Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm not playing bingo

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
wait wut?

Kno ets w8 wut :)

Translation : No, Its wait what?

The net as a whole has killed spelling & grammar that's what spell check is for, mobiles have compounded the problem with message size limits on SMS, then face book, twitter and the other crap came along and people just got lazy.

Scott

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
I know exactly what you mean. And because i feel my opinion is far more valid and important than that of the average man i feel it is my duty to express my disdain for their abhorrent behaviour and lack of common sense with regards to a language which has been around long enough that they should at least know how to use it properly.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm tags.

Internet, serious business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
My spelling, grammar and basic sentence structure used to be horrible. Look at some of my old posts on here and you'd think it was a completely different person. I don't know why, but about 4 or 5 years ago I made an effort to improve it and now it's second nature. It isn't hard, takes next to no effort and helps make the forum more readable.

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
when i was at school we had international students from brazil, columbia etc. that spoke better english than most of the local kids.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Should be shouting, you sunk my battle ship because bingo doesn't use letters.

I'v never been very good with words and writing stuff, I refuse to go full retard with things I write online and never replace letters or words with numbers.
Cant stand how people use f instead of ph (eg. fone and phone) its not the year 2000 anymore and you don t need to try and shorten every word you use so it fits into one text message.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I struggled with English in Junior High simply because I did not have an interest in it. Then I was taught by great English teachers in years 10-12. I liked English so much I chose to do Related (at the time in NSW it went Contempary>General>Related>3 Unit). I struggled with it in yr 11. My Year 11 half-yearly was a bysmal, got 25%. I worked on it and ended up getting a HSC mark of about 74% (as I recall...). So I then went into Civil Engineering, a course that required very little writing. I did 2 written assignments and a thesis (all of which got 'Credit'.). I started with the RTA and in most placements I wound up being the editor for people's technical reports. Standard of literacy amongst Engineers I found was not very high. Moving onto when I started the Primary Education degree, I was one of the few in the course whose work was not rejected due to poor writing. Whenever I type anything to do with social media (here, other forums I frequent, Facebook etc.) I try to get my grammar and spelling right but sometimes I overlook things.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
My spelling is pretty horrible already, but that's because i type faster then what my brain can process :). Plus i hit the coffee a lot.

I do find it funny that everyone posting here is making sure they've cross their T's and dotted their I's.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When people write B4 I want to scream BINGO.

What are people's thoughts on the total lack of grammar and spelling in today's society? It would appear the education system no longer places a strong emphasis on the importance of spelling as more and more I see young people spelling phonetically and having no idea about there, their and they're. I wonder if they still have spelling bee's in Primary school or do they allow text abbreviations in written work?

It's quite sad when you see people who cannot spell basics words. Two examples I have seen today are 'thay' and 'carnt' I also recently read a post of here that comprised of around a dozen sentances but not comma or period was to be seen.

Do others, especially those under 30, think spelling, grammar and punction are not important or is it only us older ones.

You forgot that one VS 5.0 lol.

For me I think it's important to spell correctly and structure sentences, more out of respect to fellow users than any sign of intelligence really.

My girls are taught correct spelling at school, they get corrected in every subject, not just English. They have spelling bees, every week for homework they have a list of words they must learn, spell, find the meaning of and put into a descriptive sentence. Grade 5 by the way.

Sometimes it's harder to type "L337 5P33K" than correct spelling anyway, I don't know what it proves substituting letters for numbers and abbreviating so much. It's not like texting on a phone anymore, where you were limited to characters in an SMS before it split it into two and sometimes three separate texts. With todays smart phones, it's just as easy to type the whole word now, especially with predictive text. One thing I like about my Samsung is that it remembers what you have typed and if you type the same word or phrase often enough, it will highlight as you go so you only have to touch the screen once per word.

My biggest peeve is "loose".

My spelling is pretty horrible already, but that's because i type faster then what my brain can process :). Plus i hit the coffee a lot.
I do find it funny that everyone posting here is making sure they've cross their T's and dotted their I's.

I do anyway because I'm anal like that. I even read my post after submitting and edit it if I see I have spelled something wrong.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
One of my friends is a teacher.

He failed most subjects at school and scraped by with a TER in the low 50's. Now he is teaching kids.

Standards. Enough said. I shudder when I think about the kids under his tutelage.

Raise the required standard for teaching. When I went to uni, teaching was the thing to do when you didn't get into your first preference.

Standards have dropped. I'm 34 this year and when I review reports from graduates in their early 20's one would think english was their second language.

Agree with a few points there. I feel there are too many positions for teachers in unis, in NSW at least. Every year in the grad intake there are 1200 spots for new teachers, but there are 5000 graduates. Additionally I have noticed on prac that the associate teachers (who actually have quite a bit of power over the whole thing) are wanting teachers to be warm, cuddly and fuzzy above anything else. Whilst I was praised for having great lesson ideas with a good, appropriate level of content, I just couldn't be warm/fuzzy/cuddly enough. So I switched over to high school teaching, where it is a job requirement to have studied your subject at university level. As a result employment prospects for High school teachers are generally much better.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I do anyway because I'm anal like that. I even read my post after submitting and edit it if I see I have spelled something wrong.

Your situation is a tad different. People expect more because you're a sponsor. :) It's pretty common to see a CB message from me getting altered lol