Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm not playing bingo

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I was always careful to structure my sentences correctly, using appropriate parsing, spelling and punctuation. In my career, report writing on behalf of very senior police was a daily occurrence, so the text, content and grammar had to be spot on. English, properly used, can be a very powerful communication weapon, but only those who know how to use it correctly can appreciate that fact.

I'm like others on this thread and detest the lazy manner in which speech is represented in many posts. I can just imagine how some dim-bulbs communicate if their spelling and punctuation is indicative of their communication skills.

Right on, Clair. Proper use of the language and its expression seem to becoming a lost art.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What are people's thoughts on the total lack of grammar and spelling in today's society? It would appear the education system no longer places a strong emphasis on the importance of spelling as more and more I see young people spelling phonetically and having no idea about there, their and they're. I wonder if they still have spelling bee's in Primary school or do they allow text abbreviations in written work?

My wife is a teacher, i had a similar conversation about this the other day. They still do spelling bee's etc and place a strong emphasis on spelling etc. The problem is the parents, for her school, she thinks 75% of parents use it as a day care facility. They simply have no care for their children.

You need a license for a dog...you should also need one for children!

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Try reading through an Officer's report , in which "the perpetrator was praying and lerking on his victim ", this happened not long ago , strange thing was , she spelled perpetrator perfectly .

Maybe she spell checked that one. (Is "spell checked" a verb?)

You miss the point. It's not just the internet, it's any written communication these days. That is why I created a separate thread to discuss how others feel about the spelling of Gen Y and how educators don't appear to teach the three r's any more.

So no, I won't get over it :)

There is a standard that is acceptable for each means of communication though. While it should be second nature, and carried across to all forms of writing, it may not be. I will cut people some slack with a lot of things on a forum that wouldn't be acceptable in formal writing. As long as what is being communicated is clear, it's OK. Where it is not, such as where paragraphs aren't formed or punctuation used, like Darren_L, I will ignore that post or thread.

This is just an internet forum. When I am writing formally I will write in paragraphs or sentences that express a particular thought. They get often get rearranged to provide a better flow in the wider context of the whole document. That sometimes means a change in tense. In a formal document I will pick that up when I edit. I'm not going to edit to the same standard for an internet post so some errors do get posted. That doesn't particularly bother me.

Spell checking isn't perfect either. Sometimes it introduces, rather than eliminates, errors.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe the media has a lot to answer for as well, my personal favourite on the evening news or the local radio stations news bulletin is " Joe Blogs pleaded guilty......"

I do anyway because I'm anal like that. I even read my post after submitting and edit it if I see I have spelled something wrong.

I do this as well, I have too, I'm dyslexic and therefore prone to making errors.

I do this also. If I edit within the minute it doesn't come up with the little thing at the bottom that tells when it was edited. :p

Bingo ;)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I believe the media has a lot to answer for as well, my personal favourite on the evening news or the local radio stations news bulletin is " Joe Blogs pleaded guilty......"

I do this as well, I have too, I'm dyslexic and therefore prone to making errors.

Bingo ;)

Same here dyslexia , rules KO , sorry man , had to do it