Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm not playing bingo

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
When people write B4 I want to scream BINGO.

What are people's thoughts on the total lack of grammar and spelling in today's society? It would appear the education system no longer places a strong emphasis on the importance of spelling as more and more I see young people spelling phonetically and having no idea about there, their and they're. I wonder if they still have spelling bee's in Primary school or do they allow text abbreviations in written work?

It's quite sad when you see people who cannot spell basics words. Two examples I have seen today are 'thay' and 'carnt' I also recently read a post of here that comprised of around a dozen sentances but not comma or period was to be seen.

Do others, especially those under 30, think spelling, grammar and punction are not important or is it only us older ones.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
One of my friends is a teacher.

He failed most subjects at school and scraped by with a TER in the low 50's. Now he is teaching kids.

Standards. Enough said. I shudder when I think about the kids under his tutelage.

Raise the required standard for teaching. When I went to uni, teaching was the thing to do when you didn't get into your first preference.

Standards have dropped. I'm 34 this year and when I review reports from graduates in their early 20's one would think english was their second language.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Kids these days, get off my lawn!

Poor spelling and punctuation is not a problem of modern times, in the past many people did not have to write at all once leaving school......so they didn't. Now people dribble all over the internet (read: facebook/forums) and now it's a thing?

I don't think so.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I'm 20 and I think proper spelling, grammar and punctuation are very important and I reckon it shows your intelligence. I even look things up if they don't seem right before I post or send a message.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Clair's biggest pet hate- incorrect spelling and grammar, right hun? :p

Makes you wonder if the education system would be better implementing some of the older teachings and perhaps less subjects at school. It seems these days kids are handed computers and calculators way too early and develop a dependability on them. When I was in school in the 80s/90s we were handed a dictionary and expected to have a high level of spelling accuracy, proof reading was encouraged before assignments/tests were handed in (we'd lose marks for incorrect spelling and grammar) and we didn't have access to computers and/or phones for everything to do a spell check. We were also expected to be able to work out most sums in our heads or at the very least on a piece of paper.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
I think one of the biggest factors impacting on grammar, spelling, sentence structure etc comes from parents, families, the media and social media. The very poor parent/adult example often demonstrated and the lack intervention or correction of children in these areas is quite frightening. A walk through you local shopping centre is all you need to do to see this.

I don't think schools/teachers can have sole responsibility to solve everything for us in society in only about 6 hours each weekday.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When people write B4 I want to scream BINGO.

What are people's thoughts on the total lack of grammar and spelling in today's society? It would appear the education system no longer places a strong emphasis on the importance of spelling as more and more I see young people spelling phonetically and having no idea about there, their and they're. I wonder if they still have spelling bee's in Primary school or do they allow text abbreviations in written work?

It's quite sad when you see people who cannot spell basics words. Two examples I have seen today are 'thay' and 'carnt' I also recently read a post of here that comprised of around a dozen sentances but not comma or period was to be seen.

Do others, especially those under 30, think spelling, grammar and punction are not important or is it only us older ones.

Sorry ClairBear, I couldn't help myself.

My kids are both in primary school (Yr 4 & Pre-Primary) and they both do spelling tests on a weekly basis.

From what I have seen with my Year 4 son's work, the teachers aren't accepting of spelling errors at all, let alone text words.

Clair's biggest pet hate- incorrect spelling and grammar, right hun? :p

Makes you wonder if the education system would be better implementing some of the older teachings and perhaps less subjects at school. It seems these days kids are handed computers and calculators way too early and develop a dependability on them. When I was in school in the 80s/90s we were handed a dictionary and expected to have a high level of spelling accuracy, proof reading was encouraged before assignments/tests were handed in (we'd lose marks for incorrect spelling and grammar) and we didn't have access to computers and/or phones for everything to do a spell check. We were also expected to be able to work out most sums in our heads or at the very least on a piece of paper.

Agree....there are so many different activities that the kids are doing at school compared to when I was there. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it can broaden their experiences, however when it detracts from the basics (the three Rs) then maybe they have gone too far.

I couldn't believe it when we were asked to provide headphones for my Pre-Primary daughter to use with the school provided iPad. Mind you I believe it is more for learning to read activities.

Haha I remember the daily spelling quiz in Year 2, with everyone ranked according to score so everyone could see how dumb everyone else was!

You can't do that these days though.....the poor little things would feel put down and excluded...apparently.