Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm stuck please help

99Problemz

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs uterus
Hey I'm converting my 99 vs ute from getrag to t5, I got an 8 bolt flywheel from the wreckerz along with everything else I'd need to convert the gearbox successfully. I removed the getrag along with the cluth and dm flywheel only to find two locating dowels, the 8 bolt flywheel i have doesn't have holes for these to go thu, I was told that they will come out easily with wd40 and vicegrips once loosened up with a hammer but I can't seem to get them out and my rego is wasting away while my car is up on stands. If anyone can share any knowledge on this it would be muchly appreciated. I'd like to get them out but I'm about to take to them with a grinder and just file them down as its doing my head in

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
surprised you are not getting any responses on this. I know nothing. Bump.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The way to remove dowels successfully is to use a 10mm pin punch and hit the side of the dowel, but not too hard as you don't want to distort anything, then move 180 degrees around the dowel and do the same. Then go 90 degrees and do the same and then 180 degrees and again do the same. Keep working around the dowel and you'll see it move. Once it does get a pair of vice grips and pull it out.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks vs-lover. I hope the op sees this before taking more drastic action

99Problemz

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs uterus
Thanks vslover , I have been trying to work it with the punch as directed but I cant get it to budge, i contacted the engineering mob that machined my flywheel for me and they are going to drill holes in it to clear the dowels
Thanks again for the info, stuffed if i know why they wont free up

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Interesting indeed as that's how the dowels are always removed from Cylinder blocks that are used to correctly situate the Heads.

Just wondering if you are being a tad too gentle. Anyway it sounds like you're on the right track to a positive outcome.