Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

im240 test

Wotdogx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey all,

Last year in december I got defected for too loud. Forged bottom end, big cam, ported and polished heads, high comp motor. Ended up swapping a stock cam into it and taking it to regency park (government inspection for vehicles in SA) and passed. I then just ended up getting the car engineered today for the camshaft and the tune.

It just makes me curious, has anyone ever actually failed an im240 test? In South Australia you can't legally have a modified camshaft in the engine, however when I got the im240 test done today with no extra tuning (I was there and they just spun it up on the dyno and cost me $400) so why do we even have this rule?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hey all,

Last year in december I got defected for too loud. Forged bottom end, big cam, ported and polished heads, high comp motor. Ended up swapping a stock cam into it and taking it to regency park (government inspection for vehicles in SA) and passed. I then just ended up getting the car engineered today for the camshaft and the tune.

It just makes me curious, has anyone ever actually failed an im240 test? In South Australia you can't legally have a modified camshaft in the engine, however when I got the im240 test done today with no extra tuning (I was there and they just spun it up on the dyno and cost me $400) so why do we even have this rule?

Who knows....The powers to be decide what you can and can't do to your car...And this is one thing they have decided you can't do. And by the sounds of it, it ain't been engineered...It's been wacked on a dyno so you have bragging rights about the power your car makes....

It's been in the air for more years than I care to remember, where they want uniform modifications rules through out the country, but every seperate state/territory rego department can't decide on those rules....Might be due to the lack of common sense bought about the regular visits to a certain store, which sells particular liquids, that if too much is consumed results in loss of ones licence if caught...

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hey all,

Mods/aftermarket stuff fitted make you have to jump hoops fitted by all govts wanting to add $$$$ to their war chests and their over qualified engineered mates.
On a good note, by you doing mods, you are spending money in the local economy and supporting small business shops/workshops.
Its all about emissions/polution and laws obviously not the environment, a good excuse for govts to charge extra
Well if you dont run your cat/s and/or you have aftermarket ecus/tune sure you will fall an emissions test and probably a noise test as well.