Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortalities First Rescue...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are there bets the blown head gasket is a blown LIM gasket...:)

Hopefully it only has a few minor problems to be fixed and then happy days cruising

That's what I'm hoping as it's an easy fix.

The radiator cap looks ancient too, I wonder if it's boiling and the reason for the makeshift overflow? Think I'll pick up a new cap on the way to get it and take a few bottles of water just in case.

Brave man, looks a little scary. The colour of most steel bits in the engine bay seems to say it's been a while since the cooling system had anything other than pure tapwater in it. Hope it is a long, happy and fairly painless relationship.

I bought it because it was cheap but hopefully good enough to do what I need. I have plans....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That engine bay looks so big with such a little motor, it needs something.....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Them povo packs are the best for conversions!!!

If it had no p/steer & wind up windows she'd be perfect for daily duties with LSX 454R crate engine (in a perfect world it makes sense)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The radiator cap looks ancient too, I wonder if it's boiling and the reason for the makeshift overflow? Think I'll pick up a new cap on the way to get it and take a few bottles of water just in case.

Definitely take water and a spare cap, but I wouldn’t replace the old cap immediately as the system may not be pressuring properly at the moment (maybe due to an old radiator cap?).

The last thing you want to do is replace the cap and fully pressurise a system that hasn’t experienced full pressure for awhile. It might crack the radiator or blow a hose. DAHIKT! :cool:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
looks like an old fleet car

No idea TBH, but I don't see a fleet provider using such a cheap povo pack model? Surely customers would want ABS etc as a minimum.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Plenty of room for a side mount.... ;)

Indeed but I was thinking more along the lines of this....
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 14.22.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 14.22.48.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 14.23.32.jpeg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I got it home... God she's rough, a true Sth Auckland car....

As I expected, stuffed radiator cap that doesn't hold pressure. Thermostat was stuck partially open but not enough to stand a chance of keeping it cool so it came out. Topped it up and started her up..... bubble bubble bubble. Yup, probably a head gasket or worse?
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-31 at 13.29.18.jpeg

Bleed it as best we could and headed home (it was pissing down with rain). Decided to stay off the motorway and avoid the tunnel as that would be the worst place to break down at get the attention of the boys in blue.

She stayed mostly cool but lack of airflow in traffic and she eventually started to climb and not stop. Factory bloody tune not turning on the thermofan till 105°C. Topped her up and headed off again. Once past the tunnel we jumped on the motorway and temps came down and stayed steady until we hit the end of the tail on the Sth Western motorway, got off and went the rest of the way on the back streets. We stopped and topped her off one more time but it never overheated again.

Bought it off a reasonably young girl with a 3month old baby. Apparently it was her uncles car and didn't know much about it.

Trans was a bitt clunky but then the lack of trans fluid will do that. Power steering about as low as it can go without not working, oil.... yes. Brake fluid? it stops.

So she got her first bath when I got home, figured I may as well hit it as it's still hot!
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-31 at 15.09.52.jpeg

It's surprisingly clean under here
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-31 at 15.12.49.jpeg

Plan is to pull the heads off and access damage. Hopefully a set of gaskets will do the job.
Oil chance
Service trans
Flush the brake system
Figure out the LPG **** and how to get it to run/switch over to petrol.

It's has a definite miss when cold, once hot it cleared but as it cooled off it came back. Also worse at idle. Going to assume this is LPG/ignition related. It has fairly new leads on it. Can see the previous owners have changed dfi modules and coil packs (still in the boot).

Other than that it drove OK. Not the best tires (got it fully locked up with no ABS on wet roads) and the suspension is like a couch...! It smoked a little on first start but my son said it cleared soon after we took off.

Last edited: