Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortalities First Rescue...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dash out, that's gonna suck. Not sure how cold it gets where you are but no heater in Tasmania is unbearable. Mine was working at 50% and I was only just warm enough. New core and it was too hot when on full, even in minus 7deg. Bloke who replaced mine fitted a new evap as well and man was the AC cold after that. Probably didn't help that the old evap had 40% of it's fins blocked with hair, leaf and dirt residue.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Indeed it's going to suck. Never taken a complete dash out before and not looking forward to it either. Heater and AC worked fine but I'm getting a coolant smell from the vents and air into the cooling system which the L67 doesn't like and causes and airlock. Temps around here drop to about 0°C on the coldest days but not much more really. Missus doesn't like the cold though so no heater is not an option for winter.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If you bend the pipes a little and remove a couple screws from the hvac, you should be able to do it without removing the dash.

Well that's what I did in the vs

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dash out is fine , it's the heater box that likes to fight and test you.
Not sure about VT but VR has hidden spots that secure the box to the firewall. Leave a screw in and the box gets damaged.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you bend the pipes a little and remove a couple screws from the hvac, you should be able to do it without removing the dash.

Well that's what I did in the vs

Don't think that works in a VT? I have an idea the core is in a different position. I could have had my pipes chopped and joined with rubber but it's still a few hours that way and its only 8 doing it the right way. I had a poorly working AC though that was fixed by doing it the right way. But I had no idea why it was poor until I saw the evap.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hvac has to come. I've read in old threads the guys where taking hvac out & back in 8 - 12 hrs.
Me personally, I've had the hvac out & in, l think 3 or 4 times. Last time, I replaced everything. New everything.
Total time, about 1 week. I was doing other stuff as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've done a core on an XJ Jeep. Took me around 14hrs but yeah it was done over about 10 days. Doing it once I knew I didn't want to tackle the old VR. Back then I had a lot more time and didn't own any any properties, so plenty of leisure time to work on cars.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Indeed it's going to suck. Never taken a complete dash out before and not looking forward to it either. Heater and AC worked fine but I'm getting a coolant smell from the vents and air into the cooling system which the L67 doesn't like and causes and airlock. Temps around here drop to about 0°C on the coldest days but not much more really. Missus doesn't like the cold though so no heater is not an option for winter.
I posted a video of how to remove a VY dash. Quite detailed. Should help.

edit:

As for HVAC, I found a few whole new HVAC assembly for VT, VX a while back on Eagle (I think it was) autospares website.

That would make it a much easier job. VT-VZ is way easier than VE.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm not sure if shipping to NZ would make it cost effective ?