Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortalities First Rescue...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Update? Is there an update?

Well after spending ages lapping in the shite exhaust valves on one head, the other head just didn't come right :( so I ordered a set of new exhaust valves (figured 5 days to a week for delivery) but alas, just over a month later (thanks Covid) I finally have the new valves and have taken the heads down to a local machinist to tidy up the exhaust seats in the heads. Hopefully have them back early next week to re-assemble and bolt em back on the engine.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So I've got a dilemma, do I stuff around with LPG and get this thing running on both petrol and LPG or ditch the LPG all together and just worry about petrol? I've already lost more than a month with the delays in parts so kinda don't want to stuff around to much getting it back on the road at this point. Fairly sure it has almost a full tank of LPG in the boot so that is a consideration. The other issue is, I've checked a few servo's and not that many actually have LPG for cars, mostly only the older servo's have it but it's not something you can stop in at any servo to get.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Get it running on petrol first and once it is running, think about the gas side of things....

Push comes to shove and you can't be stuffed getting it running on gas, at least you'll have plenty of gas for a BBQ

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So I've got a dilemma, do I stuff around with LPG and get this thing running on both petrol and LPG or ditch the LPG all together and just worry about petrol? I've already lost more than a month with the delays in parts so kinda don't want to stuff around to much getting it back on the road at this point. Fairly sure it has almost a full tank of LPG in the boot so that is a consideration. The other issue is, I've checked a few servo's and not that many actually have LPG for cars, mostly only the older servo's have it but it's not something you can stop in at any servo to get.
If you're not going to fit lpg injection, remove the lot imo. The intake restriction from older style mixers (especially simple, aka ring mixers) becomes an issue in the upper rpm. They still rev out but there's a definite loss of power.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, there is that. It's the old style mixer. I recon the inlet size is down to almost half the diameter of the TB.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Went down to my local wrecker this morning. Needed a couple of chaser rims and intake pipe for the VT and an ignition switch for the VX. He only had one chaser rim in the whole yard. Plenty of VE/VF's but no ZB's.

Still need to find another chaser rim and then I can put some better rubber under it. The 3 chaser rims I have now all have old Bridgestone rubber on them, some are like new just over a decade old but I wonder if they still have better traction than the current wheels/tires fitted?

Those Bridgestones are destined for some Hooning. That will be the first test for the driveline once we get it back on the road.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that was a win and a fail.

Got the really old and stuffed rear shocks off the car and replaced with some mildly used ones and some slightly better rubber on the rear. God damn it's a PITA to do the drinkers side top rear shock mount with that great big bloody LPG tank in the boot.

Got to work on a different project, figured the old wheels from the VT (195/65/15's) would be a good replacement for the Ford pattern wheels/hubs on my trailer. Got the hubs changed over to a Holden 5/120 pattern, threw on the wheel and fail. Wheel is rubbing on the inside against the trailer. So now I need to figure out how to widen the trailer axle? The plan was to use the Holden wheels on the trailer so in the event of a flat on the trailer the car spare would suffice. I have heaps of spare Commodore wheels so it seems pointless buying another Ford spec rim....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Better off having a fish tank in the boot.

I think there’s something in that, don’t you?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally got the heads back, good soak in acid, 3 angle valve job and he's also clearance radius around the top cut in the bowl and skimmed the heads .010"
0-02-07-3af633c8f4bd20b3e471899a43739e63741084ea9ba2d013210b8596a09006fe_1ab7e991.jpg
He said the heads have some minor heat cracks but nothing to be concerned about.

All I need to do is do a back cut on the intake valves and re-assemble.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Got to work on a different project, figured the old wheels from the VT (195/65/15's) would be a good replacement for the Ford pattern wheels/hubs on my trailer. Got the hubs changed over to a Holden 5/120 pattern, threw on the wheel and fail. Wheel is rubbing on the inside against the trailer. So now I need to figure out how to widen the trailer axle? The plan was to use the Holden wheels on the trailer so in the event of a flat on the trailer the car spare would suffice. I have heaps of spare Commodore wheels so it seems pointless buying another Ford spec rim....

Spacers ?