Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortalities First Rescue...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Possible but I'm not sure how legal that is?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Spacers are illegal unless provided by the manufacturer, thats true for cars and likely true for trailers.

Spacers can over stress wheel bearing which on a trailer isn’t the best thing to be doing.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Spacers are illegal unless provided by the manufacturer, thats true for cars and likely true for trailers.

Spacers can over stress wheel bearing which on a trailer isn’t the best thing to be doing.

The thing to consider is immortalities location...ie NZ.....There rules might differ from ours, so that's an area an NZer would have to check into first :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing to consider is immortalities location...ie NZ.....There rules might differ from ours, so that's an area an NZer would have to check into first :)
Yes that’s true but NZed aint hugely different in many ways to the rules we have down under it allow some freedoms we don’t have down under :p

Some mods require LLV certification and I believe wheel spacers and adapters are one of the things that need to be certified. Exact rules I don’t know but it’s explained here

Do wheel spacers and adaptors require LVV certification, and if so what are the requirements?
Yes - a vehicle fitted with any wheel spacers or adaptors needs LVV certification. The maximum thickness allowed is 20mm for spacers and 30mm for adaptors. Refer to LVV Standard – Learn More
If you follow the blue Learn more link above, it takes you to a doc which defines a few more details. Chapter 2.5 is related to wheel spacers.

Id assume that trailers would have similar modification rules to cars but I may be wrong on that though to me it wouldn’t be logical for regulators to allow a trailer to have an arrangement which is considered unsafe on a car :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes that’s true but NZed aint hugely different in many ways to the rules we have down under it allow some freedoms we don’t have down under :p

Some mods require LLV certification and I believe wheel spacers and adapters are one of the things that need to be certified. Exact rules I don’t know but it’s explained here

Do wheel spacers and adaptors require LVV certification, and if so what are the requirements?
Yes - a vehicle fitted with any wheel spacers or adaptors needs LVV certification. The maximum thickness allowed is 20mm for spacers and 30mm for adaptors. Refer to LVV Standard – Learn More
If you follow the blue Learn more link above, it takes you to a doc which defines a few more details. Chapter 2.5 is related to wheel spacers.

Id assume that trailers would have similar modification rules to cars but I may be wrong on that though to me it wouldn’t be logical for regulators to allow a trailer to have an arrangement which is considered unsafe on a car :rolleyes:

Something for immortality to read through as NZ regulations don't really interest me that much.....However just for the heck of it, tyre regulations seem to be identical Aust to NZ....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There are a lot of NZ/AU cross-over regulations to simplify things between our to countries.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Doing a few basic checks first....
Exhaust spring installed height (stock style retainer) is a touch over 1.9"
0-02-07-b3119a4820c5f538036841fe744e3f813539490ecb42b47a916ab72e6c603b2e_b729cc00.jpg

And the intakes are a touch under 1.9"
0-02-07-de40ea594d0915a8031f53abbd015296a279df25baaa69c0bdde0f06baea921b_38400f3d.jpg

I was intending to use the original springs as they measure up OK pressure wise but at 1.9" installed heights the pressures are going to be way off. I do have a set of LS6 valve springs which give 90lbs @ 1.800" installed height which will be more than enough for a stock engine....

I think I'm gonna need some shims for under the rocker pedestals to get everything back into alignment and maybe under the springs at a later stage....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
One head done. checked all spring installed heights ( 1.870" to 1.910"), fitted new valve stem seals and LS6 valve springs. I'll post pics later as the missus wants to go on a road trip and any excuse to test out my latest tune revisions on the Calais out on the open road :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are a lot of NZ/AU cross-over regulations to simplify things between our to countries.
Yes, and not only in cars :)

Building AU/NZ standards are the same… Some of the regs are a little different last I looked. In NZ, one can wire up their own home after the switch board and simply get it inspected and approved by the electrical authority. Meanwhile, down under we can’t even legally change a power point :rolleyes:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pics as promised.
file.php

file.php

file.php

Calais ran good. Averaged 9.2 L per 100km based on the trip computer so it's probably a touch better in reality. The sad part is, I know it actually still uses less gas at 110km/h but for the return trip I kept it at the legal speed limit. Not bad for 3.73 gears and E10 98ron fuel but more tuning to do.

Yes, and not only in cars :)

Building AU/NZ standards are the same… Some of the regs are a little different last I looked. In NZ, one can wire up their own home after the switch board and simply get it inspected and approved by the electrical authority. Meanwhile, down under we can’t even legally change a power point :rolleyes:

Yup, although I have been doing that for years. I"ll do all the work and then a sparky mate checks it and does the appropriate paper work.