Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortalities First Rescue...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd still like to figure out how to get it running on petrol though so I can make sure all that is in good working order.
The problem with LPG is that if it makes the car really cheap to run, many never run it on petrol. As such the fuel pump and injectors seize up but a good clean may or may not resolve it.

The problem is working out how the electrical side is structured so you can actually check pump and injectors...

As it’s got a LPG plate, I’d check if the business that installed it is still running and ask them if they can provide some wiring diagrams of their install.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
From what I can see the injectors have an intercept loom plugged into them so getting the injectors to fire may be as simple as plugging the original loom straight back into The injectors but that would disable the system installed.

There is only one extra switch on the dash. If you push it the engine cuts out and it looks like it shows the lpg cylinder level. I don't see any other switches anywhere.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
From what I can see the injectors have an intercept loom plugged into them so getting the injectors to fire may be as simple as plugging the original loom straight back into The injectors but that would disable the system installed.

There is only one extra switch on the dash. If you push it the engine cuts out and it looks like it shows the lpg cylinder level. I don't see any other switches anywhere.

My VY was on gas but has been disconnected...The switch on my dash for the LPG, when flicked over seems to cut the fuel pump out, as it doesn't stall straight away when driving along and it is pushed in....So it might be worth looking into that side of the switch. The lpg tank level doesn't change either with this switch being pushed in

If fuel injected cars are like carbed cars on gas, if they aren't run on fuel, it causes the carb to dry up and ruin seals....Is it possible injected cars are the same? Ruin injectors and fuel pumps? Worth looking into

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That dash switch will be the petrol/gas switch. In theory you start it on petrol and then switch it to gas, although mine used to switch automatically after it reached operating temp. Gas must be cheap in NZ if the plan is to keep it? $1.09 in Tas, if you can find a servo that still has it..... Launceston has 90k people and petrol stations with gas would be no more than 2 or 3 now, whereas we has 6 or 7 places just a few years ago. Personally man of your skill I'd be ripping the gas out and getting it running on petrol. Unless of course the costs make it worth keeping? I know in Tas its cheaper to run petrol now, hence why very few people still use it here. Injected gas works out at about the same mileage as 91 but suction feed through the TB uses about 50% more gas than 91.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
91 is currently about nz$2.16/L around here! Not sure what lpg is at the servo.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
And yes injectors can gum up and stop working. Seeing as it dies instantly I'd say it would be a pump issue rather than injector unless all 6 are stuffed or there is an electrical issue. Easy enough to test the pump, simply hot wire and see if we get flow/pressure.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
Looks pretty good the body don't look to bad, it's got potential.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You really need to know how this LPG system was wired electrically and what parts of the original petrol system are impacted and how they are impacted.

But lacking that info, I’d disconnect the LPG intercept loom and try to run it only on petrol. If it runs but stumbles, then it’s either one or more blocked injector(s) or the fuel fuel pump isn’t pushing enough pressure/volume. If it doesn’t run, it could be all injectors are blocked or something electrically is getting in the way of the petrol system...

I’ve soaked blocked injectors in “EFI system cleaner” overnight to soften the crud within the injector. EFI system cleaner is the stuff you add to your petrol tank but I pour 100% concentration into a container and drop the injector into it so it’s fully covered and leave it to soak overnight. This has worked for me to cleaned lightly blocked injectors in the past. The last time I had heavily blocked injectors, I used a 9V battery and carbi cleaner to squirt them clean which worked well. I didn’t back flow then though next time I’ll do that to ensure all the crud around the filter basket is removed... A combination of soak and pressure clean may work well for you. Here’s one method injector cleaning method that should work for you

The below method is the one I used

If you can get it to run well on petrol, then I’d check the LPG system and its wiring and get it running 100% on both fuels so I’m able to switch between each at will :p

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
looks like an old fleet car

You might be right. Don't know who would be a fleet car with no bells and whistles but it did 143,000km in it's first 3 years.

Then it did stuff all up to about 2004 and since then it's racked up the extra miles.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Surgery has begun.

What have I got myself into? :eek: