Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Importing a car

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
lol i live in clarkson, i saw the audi ( fogive me for not addressing you directly dan ) southbound on the mitchel freeway.

heres a test for your memory, fif you see a while VS sedan, black louvre on the back and a nova sticker the the right of the license place? i beleive we traded positions down the freeway a couple of times lol. small world hahaha.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
That is a lot of mucking about!! I guess i'll have to at least get the child seat anchor points fitted, but luckily the cigarette lighter won't operate with the ignition off on the model i'm looking at so that's one less thing to worry about. Sure i'll get stuffed on a load of other things though.

As I said, I can't do a personal import as I aleady sold my car from the UK so I have to find a company to import it for me which may take a bit of stress out of it (maybe wishful thinking but you never know).

Dan, did you get stung for the Luxury Car Tax on the S4?

DANS_S4

DANS S4
Reaction score
Website
www.toptiara.com
Members Ride
AUDI S4!
lol i live in clarkson, i saw the audi ( fogive me for not addressing you directly dan ) southbound on the mitchel freeway.

heres a test for your memory, fif you see a while VS sedan, black louvre on the back and a nova sticker the the right of the license place? i beleive we traded positions down the freeway a couple of times lol. small world hahaha.

lol wish my memory was good enough to remember 2 hours ago let alone several days ;) I'll keep my eye open though once I'm properly out and about. I live in Mindarie, so in the same sort of area.

With regard to the luxury car tax, they raised the limit on it recently from about $53k to just over $57k based on what they feel is the real value of the car. Luckily for me, they accepted the UK valuation which meant it got in under the luxury tax band. Some poor guy imported a Jaguar though (was either an XK8 or XKR) and it cost him well in excess of 20 grand for duty & GST. Was near mine when I went to collect it from the shippers. I'm guessing either they werent aware that they needed to get a UK valuation prior to it leaving Blighty or customs just decided to charge based on the AU value. Either way thats painful!

If anyone wants it, I knocked up an Excel sheet that gives you an idea of what you might be charged in duty & GST. I don't know if I'm allowed to put it up on here so PM me your email address if you want it.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
hey mate,

you should be able to attach it here when you post click on go advanced and then manage attachments, if you cannot put up .xls then you can def. put up .zip

DANS_S4

DANS S4
Reaction score
Website
www.toptiara.com
Members Ride
AUDI S4!
It oks I know how to attach files, just not sure whether the mods allow .xls files with embedded detail. In todays environment where you can get a virus on your computer just from looking at a webpage, it's safer to keep stuff hidden away.

I dont mind mailing it to anybody who wants it though :)

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
You have PM Dans_S4 :thumbsup:

Edit - Just checked my e-mail again! Thanks for that. At least it gives a good idea of cost for me.

Last edited:

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
aaaaah gotta love Audis! Nice ride dude! Out of interest, why did you import it? You can buy S4's here.

DANS_S4

DANS S4
Reaction score
Website
www.toptiara.com
Members Ride
AUDI S4!
aaaaah gotta love Audis! Nice ride dude! Out of interest, why did you import it? You can buy S4's here.

lol yeah but I paid less for mine when I bought it two years ago than I'd pay for the same here today. Even after taking duty, licensing etc all into account, saved myself probably the best part of $15k. Luxury cars are way too expensive down here

mikes audi diesel

Reaction score
child anchor points?Help just brought my Audi A6 diesel into Butler up road from Clar

That'd be me :) Hi guys - my first post here!Going back on topic, as I have first hand experience with importing cars (as you can see from my Audi), there are a LOT of things you need to know. You have to have a PERMIT TO IMPORT A VEHICLE which is obtained through Canberra I believe. dotars.com.au sould have all the info on getting that. It takes at least a month to sort out from outside the country, but may be quicker if you live here already.1. You have to be able to prove ownership of a vehicle for 12 months in an overseas country to be allowed to import it. 2. You need to prove the value of the vehicle in the country you bought it from. This is a NIGHTMARE. The AU authorities will try to hit you with duty & GST based on THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE - with depreciation, this can be significantly more than the current value. I paid 30k GB pounds for my S4 almost 2 years ago. Current market value of a pristine one is about 22k, but I got mine valued by Audi before I left and luckily they priced it at 17.5k which is what the AU authorities based my duty and GST on. That, plus brokers fess, storage etc all came out at around $12k.3. Quarantine - THIS IS A PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!!!!! As Deano said, I had my car professionally steam cleaned inside and out, plus a full valet. Receipts to prove this had been done. The car was in showroom condition when it went into the container. They still wouldn't release it from quarantine until it had another 'clean' which of course I got charged for. Dont bother cleaning it before you ship as they will get you to clean it again when it arives. Just make sure it's not covered in dirt or bird crap and you should be fine.Thats just to get the thing into the country. There is more fun to be had yet!So, you finally can pick up your car. Hold on! Not yet! You have to have a temporary permit to move your car from where it is stored to a test centre. These are obtained from a licensing centre and cost $15.15 and are valid for 48 hours. You are only allowed to use these permits to move your car from the shipper to the test centre and from the test centre back to the shipper or home again. Thats it.OK. The test centre WILL FAIL YOUR CAR - this is guaranteed. One of the pieces of paper that comes with the import permit is a form to obtain a PRIVATE IMPORT PLATE. You cannot get this until the test centre have seen the car and stamped the form. If thats all your car fails on, you are very lucky. The PIP takes about a week to get hold of. Only one place in the whole of AU is authorised to issue them - Niddrie Nameplates in Niddrie. Chances are you will not have child seat restraint anchor points and you may need to rewire your cigarette lighter (AU rules do not allow these to work if the ignition is switched off - most cars in the UK allow them to be operational at all times as some people plug thngs other than the lighter into them). As you can gather my car failed on these three points.All in, importing my S4 from the UK is going to have cost me in the region of $20k AU give or take a few grand once I'm finished. Even after this is all done, I'll have paid less than it would have cost me to buy the same thing here, but it's a major pain in the backside. Not sure I'd bother with it again.That said, I should be up and running middle of next week hopefully. Toot if you see me out and about :):dance:
Help just brought my Audi A6 diesel into Butler up road from Clarkson. Guess what car failed inspection on child anchor points. Thought Audis were one of the safest cars in the world.
Do Audi know Oz is trashing their safety record?
Where the hell do I get them fitted -the inspector said drill holes through the rear parcel shelf - surely this cant be safer than the factory fittings?
If I ever get the car on the road I'll give you a hoot!