Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improved Fuel Efficiency and Flex-Fuel Capability for MY12 Commodore

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
- Fuel economy improvements for 3.0 and 3.6L V6 auto models
- All Commodores now flex-fuel capable
- Dedicated LPG range on the way

Holden has made fuel-efficiency improvements across its popular V6-powered Commodore range with a model year 2012 update on-sale in mid September.

Commodore Omega sedan, powered by the Australian-built 3.0 litre SIDI V6 engine, achieves new fuel economy of 8.9L/100km, down from 9.1L/100km on the previous model.

Holden has delivered consistent efficiency gains for Commodore since the launch of the VE range in 2006. Fuel economy on the entry-level Omega sedan has improved 18% over the life the model with the addition of Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI) technology, calibration improvements and other weight saving and aero enhancements.

The continued focus on fuel economy means Commodore is still the most fuel-efficient vehicle in the large car segment and is competitive against many popular mid-sized four-cylinder vehicles.

With the model year update all Commodore vehicles will become flex-fuel capable with 3.6L SIDI V6 engine, powering models like the popular SV6, now also able to run on bio-ethanol/E85; a blend of up to 85 per cent ethanol and 15 per cent petrol.

Bio-ethanol is a cleaner burning fuel made in Australia from the waste by-product of wheat and sugar, sorghum and in the future potentially household garbage. It is available at selected Caltex service stations along the eastern seaboard.

Speaking at the Alternative Fuels Summit in Brisbane this week, Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Mike Devereux, said Holden had taken a leadership position in Australia, advocating for and stimulating demand for bio-ethanol.

"The entire Commodore range is now flex-fuel capable, Caltex and other fuel retailers are making high ethanol-blend fuels available and we are working with our consortium partners to build Australia's first second-generation ethanol plant to turn rubbish into fuel.

"Commodore drivers who run their car on bio-ethanol/E85 can reduce their well-to-wheel CO2 emissions by up to 40% compared to petrol.

"And as well as adding flex-fuel capability, we aim to continuously improve Commodore with every model year. Our engineers and designers are constantly striving to improve fuel efficiency and performance and to enhance the look and feel of the car for our customers."

The Commodore model year update will also add subtle design enhancements and other features which will be announced closer to start of production this month. A new range of dedicated LPG models will also be launched in early 2012.

"Alternative fuels like bio-ethanol and LPG offer great potential for Australia through reduced CO2 emissions, regional development and energy independence," Mr Devereux said.

"Bringing more dedicated LPG and flex-fuel vehicles to market will help drive demand for theseAustralian-made fuels and demystify and make people aware of the benefits they offer."

Improving fuel economy and CO2 emissions
Combined with on-going vehicle mass reduction, Holden engineers made a number of enhancements to the new model year V6 models to improve fuel economy:
All automatic V6 models now feature an improved, more efficient transmission which reduces mechanical losses and the 3.0 litre SIDI variants also benefit from a revised torque converter.

The air-conditioning system has also been re-engineered to improve efficiency and draw less operating power.

Mr Devereux said the Holden engineering team was also working behind the scenes to bring more fuel saving innovations to future Commodore models with co-investment support from the Federal Government's New Car Plan for a Greener Future.

"Our team is currently working on innovative weight-saving features like aluminium body panels and exploring the potential benefits of other technologies like electronic power steering.

"It's this sort of engineering commitment that makes Holden one of the country's largest R&D investors, it keeps Australia at the forefront of automotive innovation and reflects the importance of co-investing in this high-tech industry," Mr Devereux said.

Source - Holden Media

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Commodore SV6 Z-Series - Manual
One of the articles mention something about minor cosmetic changes, I wonder what they are…

The 2012 Holden Commodore will benefit from improved fuel efficiency for some automatic models, flex-fuel capability across the range, and some subtle design and equipment enhancements when it goes on sale in Australia from the middle of this month.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
lol good ol' Commodore, getting better fuel economy every model, but still use about the same fuel as the original VB

edit: should add, I'm talking what people get in the real world not some bullsh!t rating. Search on this forum and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
It would be nice to have a Dedicated LPG range on the way if only in 6's

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
lol good ol' Commodore, getting better fuel economy every model, but still use about the same fuel as the original VB

edit: should add, I'm talking what people get in the real world not some bullsh!t rating. Search on this forum and you will see what I mean.
Not my old VB :D.

It would be nice to have a Dedicated LPG range on the way if only in 6's
Next year i think they said ?.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
One of the articles mention something about minor cosmetic changes, I wonder what they are…

Probably no more than the usual VE update - relocated badges, maybe altered alloy wheel design for the Omega (please.....) and a bit of a fiddle and fart around with colours and trims. We still have about two years till the VF before we see any major styling changes.

Does anybody else think the VE is well overdue for that major facelift?