Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improved Rotors.......?

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
Need a 4 wheel brake job - I think the front rotors (original GMH ones) need machining - so may be better to put that dollars towards better rotors - at least on the front ?

It's only a family car - VTII Berlina wagon with 74000K on clock, so don't want anything high performance - just good quality rotors that might improve breaking performance. Also, don't really want to pay a fortune on special pads to go with improved rotors either.

Any recommendations ? Brand ? Model ? Type ?

Thanx

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
nmldb said:
Need a 4 wheel brake job - I think the front rotors (original GMH ones) need machining -

don't want anything high performance - don't really want to pay a fortune on special pads to go with improved rotors either.

Just get them machined. There are mobile guys that can do them for you if you are going to do the brake pads yourself.

You might as well get all 4 rotors machined and new pads.

Otherwise you are looking at MIN. $500 -$600+ for new slotted rotors and preformance pads....

How much do you want to spend ( Pads and Rotors ) ?

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
WAGON MAN said:
Just get them machined. There are mobile guys that can do them for you if you are going to do the brake pads yourself.

You might as well get all 4 rotors machined and new pads.

Otherwise you are looking at MIN. $500 -$600+ for new slotted rotors and preformance pads....

How much do you want to spend ( Pads and Rotors ) ?

Quoted about $450 for 4 wheel reline and front rotors machined - providing there is sufficient thickness to allow machining of course. If not, then I'll get new rotors on front only.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Having only done 74,000 kms the rotors shouldn't be too worn. I've only just replaced mine after 250,000 kms

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
nmldb said:
Quoted about $450 for 4 wheel reline and front rotors machined - providing there is sufficient thickness to allow machining of course. If not, then I'll get new rotors on front only.

How much do you want to spend?

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
Happy to spend up to say $550.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I recently machined my rotors and replaced pads at 80,000kms,the rotors still had plenty of thickness after machining.

With your budget you could probably upgraded to slotted rotors and preformance pads as long as you do the labour yourself...

If you can,t, i would get a couple more quotes and get all 4 rotors machined.

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
WAGON MAN said:
I recently machined my rotors and replaced pads at 80,000kms,the rotors still had plenty of thickness after machining.

With your budget you could probably upgraded to slotted rotors and preformance pads as long as you do the labour yourself...

If you can,t, i would get a couple more quotes and get all 4 rotors machined.

ok - thanks. You are probably right. Was thinking of getting some cheaper drilled rotors off eBay but the brake place wern't too keen on fitting anything they didn't usually sell.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i got all 4 new rotors n pads the other day they werent slotted or drilled rotors but had top quality brakes put on all dun 4 $530 and fitted ne1 think that was a bit of a rip off at all??

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Where are you from? Through ABS i can have DBA slotted fronts with some Greenstuff pads fitted for $350 cashy ;)