Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving My Ute's Handling

BigL753

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega Ute
I'm wanting to improve the handling of my Ute (S2 Omega) and was thinking about doing the following

Lowering the car and replacing the stock suspension with either Bilstein (Currently most prefered except for the cost) or KYB.
and
Putting in some thicker sway bars

I'm thinking of putting the sway bars in first but I'm not sure about how big I should go?
Also how big a difference is there between Bilstein and KYB? Most posts have been saying that Bilstein is brilliant and to get them but on a value aspect is Bilstein worth the extra cost?

Thanks

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Though I'm not sure what your after in the handling department. New fatter, lower profile, quality, softer tyres would probably be of great benefit. It's a heavy car utility, not a great deal will change with out spending a few grand.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
A set of 18" rims with good rubber will improve the handling..
Whiteline would also do a swaybar kit probably cheaper then Bilstein...
Some people swear strut braces make a huge difference also..
Have you considered a brake upgrade to improve stopping?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
lowered suspension (30mm) swaybars and bushes, spend little get little, spend lots get lots, go shocks/springs as a package, bar bushes, and bars if you want, all this with good tyres will help, speak to a suspension shop to look at all options and cost

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
If wanting to do on a cheap budget, I would get some FE2 springs, V8 sway bars(all from wreckers), and as said, a decent set of 18" wheels. If you have noticed, V8 Supercars "dont" run 20". Does that tell you something?
KYB are my shock of choice, but Bilsteins are great at a price.
And, helping to know what you want out of the final package. Track days, or just a better street car.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
^^ what he said.. 20's will only improve grip if you go from a 165 to a 245 tyre or something.. 18's I find give great grip and don't sacrifice ride comfort.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Can always swap bushes all around, probably cost 800~10000 installed, new toe rods, trailing arms, control arms. Heaps you can do.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Id go 19s purely because they look better as they fill the guards out better than 18s, especially on the VE. SS-V rims look good and plenty for sale.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Are the front and rear sway bars equally important to handling?

BigL753

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega Ute
I've already changed the stock rims to the SV6 Stock 18's.
I'm looking for improved the cornering of my Ute with only a bit of decrease in ride comfort. No track use just street.
What size sway bars do you recommend tho??

Also I don't know why everyone thinks I don't want to spend money. I said I'm looking to get Bilstein (which cost a fair bit) but was just wondering if the extra cost was justified compared to say KYB for regular street use.