Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for the replies. Looks a whole new suspension is the only way to go. $4k + is probably too much for my old bus. Have to think about maybe getting the standard suspension checked out properly and see what parts are worn and need replacing.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Stiffer springs make a good difference but ride quality can become compromised. Got khfl48’s in the front of mine and the difference is huge compared to stock (these springs would probably suit you perfectly).

Less sidewall also seems to give more positive handling.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
But everything in performance upgrade comes at a compromise of comfort.

Utes generally ride somewhat harsher so you really wouldn't want it to go much harsher as a daily long distant traveller as you use it Losh.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stiffer springs make a good difference but ride quality can become compromised. Got khfl48’s in the front of mine and the difference is huge compared to stock (these springs would probably suit you perfectly).

Less sidewall also seems to give more positive handling.

I'm running 225/50 16's so reasonably low wall compared to stock. Just looked up the khfl48 and they are Kings.... I have Kings before and they were pretty damn harsh. Plus I don't want to go lower than stock, it's pretty low now and scrapes as it is. Will poly air bags improve handling?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But everything in performance upgrade comes at a compromise of comfort.

Utes generally ride somewhat harsher so you really wouldn't want it to go much harsher as a daily long distant traveller as you use it Losh.
Yeah and I don't want to make it worse than it is now. It is already fairly harsh. Your right I travel long distances and across some very poor roads.
Anyone recommend a place I can get my suspension checked out to give me some advice on what I can do to help handling without sacrificing even more comfort. I'm happy to pay 60 - 70 bucks to hoist it up and have the suspension and steering checked out, because I wouldn't know how to tell worn components unless they were completely busted. I'm wondering if what I have fitted now is just too old and tired. I'm hoping there is maybe a better set of shocks and springs I can look at next year, or some better struts? Without going all out and spending huge $ on a whole complete new suspension set up.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Yeah and I don't want to make it worse than it is now. It is already fairly harsh. Your right I travel long distances and across some very poor roads.
Anyone recommend a place I can get my suspension checked out to give me some advice on what I can do to help handling without sacrificing even more comfort. I'm happy to pay 60 - 70 bucks to hoist it up and have the suspension and steering checked out, because I wouldn't know how to tell worn components unless they were completely busted. I'm wondering if what I have fitted now is just too old and tired. I'm hoping there is maybe a better set of shocks and springs I can look at next year, or some better struts? Without going all out and spending huge $ on a whole complete new suspension set up.
Do you have Pedders anywhere near you? I don't know if they still charge the same but it used to be from memory $27

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have Pedders anywhere near you? I don't know if they still charge the same but it used to be from memory $27

We do but people say to avoid Pedders, especially our local one. I could take it to one in SA when I head over I'd probably have to go to Morphett Vale one if they are still there? I know on some cars, Pedders springs are an improvement but I'm not sure how they go on Commodore ute's. I had them on my LX Torri rear end and they made it handle 10x better but they did jack the rear up a fair bit, which I don't want.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I know on some cars, Pedders springs are an improvement but I'm not sure how they go on Commodore ute's. I had them on my LX Torri rear end and they made it handle 10x better but they did jack the rear up a fair bit, which I don't want.

I lowered my Maloo with Pedder's springs and Koni dampers, good combination.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
last time i went to Pedders in my VR calais it was going to cost me around $4k and according them that was just to make it back to "standard" again

I have just completed a full front suspension refurb on the berlina and it handles way better. I replaced everything that could be replaced in the front including the springs. i went with the king springs for the front and replaced the rear shocks and have sourced a set of NOS rear springs that will be going in later.

i used the ultima shocks and struts and they seem just as good as the original monroe wylies that were factory fitted.
including the lower control arms and tie rods it only cost about $850 delivered to the door.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hey Losh where are you located? I can sell you a whole car with every suspension upgrade needed. I built it years ago it's just sitting on a farm I was planning on using the suspension in my VS ute but I have to put it back to standard and I might keep it that way other than a front swaybar maybe.