Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
adding some weight in the back does help a lot.
Mines got the country pack (so its actually slightly higher than normal) and its an average ride feel.
but put a few Kgs in the back and its a whole different story.

In the end though, its at best a 19-25 year old car.
its handling is never going to be racecar spec.

But you can certainly make it more comfortable if that's your end goal.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
34 cold, anything more and the corrogations and rough roads are damn right awful.

Hey Losh, talk to a suspension mob and see if they can emulate the factory 'V5W Country Pack Suspension'.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Hey Losh, talk to a suspension mob and see if they can emulate the factory 'V5W Country Pack Suspension'.

But not with anything other than 15inch stock wheels.
You do still feel every single bump.
However ground clearance is amazing. (have an old thread on here which shows the 2 coke cans under the front bar :D )

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you want a smooth ride from the rear you're going to have to use air bags and good shocks like koni or bilstien probably bilstien B7's modded in and progressive valved for the bags. I was a suspension mechanic for years so I know a little.
The air bags are progressive rate in their spring rate giving you a much smoother ride only issue is controlling them is a little harder as like I said you need the prigressive rates of the shock set up on the bench by a suspension shop you'll be into about $1500 of just shocks then the bags dash gauge and compressor to keep the psi at rest the same all the time.

Otherwise just deal with a light rear end being harsh.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Shane but a V6 ute is not worth $5k of suspension upgrades. I think I will book it in for it alignment and balance and have a chat to KTAS and see if they have any opinions. If I don't find them useful enough I will take it to someone in Adelaide and ask for some opinions on what reasonably price rear springs and shocks I can fit that will be better than what I have now. I'm not expecting miracles on an old VR and lets face it it would be cheaper to buy a VE than go all out on suspension on an old VR. I think my old shocks are probably worn but I need an expert to tell me and if I am fitting new shocks I might be able to fit new coils for $250 thereabouts.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks Shane but a V6 ute is not worth $5k of suspension upgrades. I think I will book it in for it alignment and balance and have a chat to KTAS and see if they have any opinions. If I don't find them useful enough I will take it to someone in Adelaide and ask for some opinions on what reasonably price rear springs and shocks I can fit that will be better than what I have now. I'm not expecting miracles on an old VR and lets face it it would be cheaper to buy a VE than go all out on suspension on an old VR. I think my old shocks are probably worn but I need an expert to tell me and if I am fitting new shocks I might be able to fit new coils for $250 thereabouts.
Ktas is Mycar now btw

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Do you want it to handle corners etc better or is it nicer ride comfort?

Two different things tbh.

My ute had country pack originally...must say it was way more comfortable that way on 205/65/15 pumped up to max pressure than it was with lower fe2 suspension.

I just didn't like tyre gaps to guards you could almost fit your head in after ute got jenny craig'd

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm hoping to improve both, handling and comfort. I don't need massive differences with handling its ok as is but i feel there is room for improvement, hopefully without huge costs. I too don't like the idea of lift kits in a Commodore. I was kinda hoping that a newer model Dore might have had better design struts that would bolt in fairly easily, bit like a brake upgrade. Obviously live rear end is not going to have any newer options given they were pretty much doing away with it by the mid 90s.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am considering Pedder coils coupled with some decent shocks. I think that combo might help in both directions.

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
I was kinda hoping that a newer model Dore might have had better esign struts that would bolt in fairly easily, bit like a brake upgrade.
The front struts are more or less the same in VR-VY. VZ strut has different stabiliser bar links, a smidgeon better, but won't fit VS. VF has newer virtual pivot front end. Much better, but that won't bolt into an old Commodore.