Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Losh, I think you are going to live with what you already have. Provided you have all your suspension in good condition that is as good as it's going to get without spending to much money. . Good rubber, keep your tyres pumped up and leave the rest alone. You could well spend more than the ute is worth for very little gain. I don't flog my ute neither do I pamper it and I am quite happy with what I have.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think my rear shocks are tired and possibly leaking a tad. But when inspected two years ago I thought they were tired then but it wasn't mentioned in the safety inspection, yet 10 other things were and those issues definitely needed attention and have been sorted. I'm not sure about the rear coils but decent ones are not expensive, even at twice the price of cheapo Kings. Hence why i am thinking about swapping them out for some new ones.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The best handling VR wagon I had was my first one that was EX Telstra tech car. Had the country pack suspension with sump guard fitted. Could do 60kmph over the 20kmph speed humps and fly through spoon drains. It was just a smidge higher than a VR stock suspension.

Best handling VR sedan I had was a V6 BT1 with FE2 suspension. it was only just lower than stock, but looked a lot lower because of the body kit.

front1.jpg

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Good quality shocks make a big difference in handling especially if the old ones are stuffed

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'm running 225/50 16's so reasonably low wall compared to stock. Just looked up the khfl48 and they are Kings.... I have Kings before and they were pretty damn harsh. Plus I don't want to go lower than stock, it's pretty low now and scrapes as it is. Will poly air bags improve handling?
With a 6 I don’t think it’d lower it at all. Harshness is more to do with the shock/spring combo. Not just the springs

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
The traditional approach has been mentioned: throw a bag of cement in the back. Keep us posted on the results and we'll all be wiser.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My VP ute had Lovels super low springs. Adjustable rear panhard rod. Strut brace. White line heavy duty sway bar. Urethane bushes all round. Thing handled like a go cart.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am seriously considering new springs. I am pretty much decided that I will replace the rear shocks regardless and for an extra $250 why not just replace springs as well. I want to stick with stock heights, as the ute is plenty low enough. Plus it will be cheaper to stick with stock.
I guess my question now is what's a decent stock height spring and shock combo?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If I'm not mistaken utes have heavy duty springs in the rear to handle heavy loads in the tray?

Maybe consider some sedan spring and poli-bags to support extra weight as required which in theory should give a more compliant ride. I also think a 15" rim would suit you better and definitely change the rear shock, I wouldn't hesitate.

For handling improvements I'd look at a strut brace and front sway bar upgrade as funds allow.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
on my Ute i replaced the original springs and shocks (was bouncing all over the place) with King Springs and Monroe GT sports shocks. made the ride so much better. much better handling and stiffer. but comfort was sacrificed a bit. but i would still do it again. was able to get most of it brand new for around or under $1,300. pretty sure closer to $1,000. but it was worth it. still using the same setup now and it is still going strong