Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, I am looking at maybe getting some Pedder rear coils in standard height and flex to suit my bus. I am hoping I can get them at trade. The workshop who rebuilt my bottom end may owe me a favour or fix an oil leak in the rear main that has started to leak again. Thinking of calling on the favour rather than pulling the trans again just to fix a RM leak.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I am looking at maybe getting some Pedder rear coils in standard height and flex to suit my bus.

Why? Won't it just be replacing like for like?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The Pedders should be better than what i have as they tend to be a better spring than stock. It should not only ride better, handling should be somewhat improved. I have trouble hitting the front going up driveways now, any lower and it will be a nightmare.
As it is i creep up driveways and it still hits. Unfortunately Launceston roads are extremely old and driveways tend to have big dips prior to the rise. Just have to see all the gouge marks in the bitumen around the city where old buildings meet old roads.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The Pedders should be better than what i have as they tend to be a better spring than stock. It should not only ride better, handling should be somewhat improved.

But if it's just a stock replacement it will (or should) have the same height and spring rate. There's not much outside those two parameters that can make the spring better or worse over a stock spring other than the colour.

Just seems unecessary. I don't think springs sag as much over time as people like to think they do either.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I see what you're saying but all reports say the Pedders are less harsh than stock. I don't understand the science behind it but from what i understand somehow a better quality spring is not only more comfortable but also handles better.
I have fitted more flexible springs on another bus than original and not only did it handle better it had a fair bit more flex.
I also fitted Pedder Reds to my LX and the difference was night and day in handling and comfort was not affected at all.
Mine haven't sagged they just don't feel as good as they could be.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think stock springs are linear where as many of the aftermarket replacement springs these days are progressive so in theory they should be better than stock.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
That'd be a no brainer wouldn't it ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So bit of an update. I have two prices on springs, I am going standard height as my ute is low enough now. However I have two choices in rear coils, Lovells at $190 a pair or Pedders at $200 a pair, which would be the best choice?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Correction I can get Lovells for $161 on eBay.