Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I read that thread Stick and it makes it more confusing than before. I am starting to think either Pedders or Lovells will be good. Lovells are definitely progressive so that will be better than stock I suspect. I think the Pedders are too though. Price wise can't beat Lovells at $161 the pair.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I must admit I'm not a huge Pedders fan as I find most of their stuff is a tad on the hard side, but hey that's just me as I find all the roads are just continually getting worse and worse and I hate getting shaken to the core nowadays, so for me it will probably lean towards Lovells, but to each their own I always say.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lovells are the winner price wise. If they are as good or better than Pedders then I'm sold.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Lovells are the winner price wise. If they are as good or better than Pedders then I'm sold.
not sure on vr ute springs but the set i put on my car which btw were kings they are a progressive rate spring and cost me only $145 for the pair as far as i can see so far they seem just the same as the original holden springs not real soft but not overly firm either but that may depend on strut choice as well.

well that sucks looked but couldn't find a listing for vr ute springs where i bought mine but did find a few sets on the net for around $152-$167 with free postage.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have decided to order a pair of Lovells. Hopefully i have made the right choice. Probably have them fitted in two weeks time. Won't have shocks just yet as i spent my ute allowance for the next few weeks. Not only did I buy springs i bought paint and some other bits.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I doubt I will use Kings again.
Used to use Lovells and will go back to them next time I think. I’ve never had springs sag at all, let alone after 2 years.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've still got the kyb from ( rear ) from my 2016 trip / experience = see my maloo ride thread.
If you want pm me = $80 + postage for some kyb shocks ( not sure if fe2 height are different) or suite.
Not sure on milage = guessing about 2500/ 3000kms , certainly less than 5000kms

Anyone got opinions on KYB shocks? I'm on standard height though.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'm really starting to think that all you require is a really good set of shockers and not really change from the OEM springs. Factory springs are pretty good if you are talking standard ride height and only need changing if your original ones are actually damaged or sagging.

As far as shockers are concerned KYB are a pretty good unit for standard type applications.

Pedders Sportsryders are just way to hard on your vehicle and also your spinal cord, something we all forget about while we're young, but you'll know all about it when you get a bit older.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I already ordered the Lovells. The old ones don't have the tension they would have from new but still ride shocking over gravel. Plus they sag when 500kg is in the back; they pretty much sit on the bump stops with a load. I think i need both maybe more so shocks but the springs are old and no doubt won't be as good as a new pair. I think for the $161 it will be worth swapping them out regardless. I also think that trying springs with old shocks might give me a clearer picture on what really is the problem.